• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not all jackets are tight US Pilots Great Sailing UK 1944

Bombing IP

US-bomber-pilots-GreatSailing-UK1944.jpg

BIP

Smithy

Great photo but I agree, that's bigger than what I'd want. But it once again proves that fit during WWII was all over the place with A-2s.

But I really love how the fellow on the right has rolled his trousers up, he's obviously a touch worried about the English mud spoiling his strides ;)

Bombing IP

That and the English weather I would want a sweater under my jacket on the cold early morning takeoffs ,when you look at a group off officers its amazing how diverse the uniforms are cut and color .

BIP

Robman

Been a while since I posted. In my perspective when I look at photos of airmen and aircrews the majority to me show "slack" in the fit of A-2s. The painted on sausage skin look is less common. The very snug-looking jackets frequently upon closer inspection show the individual wearing a coverall/flightsuit underneath.

I used to want my reproduction A-2s to be "exact" however at this point I enjoy a roomier fit and look at photos like the one posted here as my guide.

Bombing IP

Been a while since I posted. In my perspective when I look at photos of airmen and aircrews the majority to me show "slack" in the fit of A-2s. The painted on sausage skin look is less common. The very snug-looking jackets frequently upon closer inspection show the individual wearing a coverall/flightsuit underneath.

I used to want my reproduction A-2s to be "exact" however at this point I enjoy a roomier fit and look at photos like the one posted here as my guide.

I agree with you we are to consumed with this perceived notion that all jackets were a tight fit , my take on WWII fit is that it was a lot shorter in the body because the pants were worn higher , the jacket for the wearer was chosen because how it fit across the back . The bringing of arms forward with how tight the back felt to the wearer set the finished size for the choice of jacket the finished look followed this for the wearer . Remember missions were 7 hours long , it would of been unbearable with a tight jacket holding the controls . I have said this before the A-2 type jacket is cut like a shirt and sometimes you need to go up a size for comfort , the custom made to fit you luxury that Good Wear offers did not exist in WW2 to have your jacket a perfect fit .

BIP

Robman

I've seen so many say this jacket or that jacket is too big and the comical thing is they often look quite like the fits in the photographs. The obsessing about the fit which I have been guilty of is crazy in my mind. Additionally if you have a little too much in the mid section a tight fitting A-2 makes it look like you're packing them on in my mind.

Mileage varies of course.

Smithy

I can't stand a jacket that's too tight. Give me a slightly too loose over a slightly too tight any day of the week.

And I agree, although there are variances, the vast majority of wartime photos of A-2s being worn show them having a little "give" in the fit. I personally think the whole skin tight A-2 thing grew out of Japan over the last decade or two where there was/is a fashion for very fitted leather jackets which is accentuated by a lot of them being slight of build. It got picked up by the vintage/hipster crowd who track what's coming out vintage-wise from Japan. You could see that over at TFL, especially a couple of years back where every man and his dog seemed to be going for very fitted looks or championing it in comments about how jackets "should" fit.

I reckon that the very fitted leather jacket, aside from being unpractical and a pain in the arse to wear, actually doesn't look terribly good either.

Smithy

Completely off topic and probably just me but I can't look at that bloke in the middle without thinking of Dean Martin :confused:

Robman

I have also followed ebay over the years and found groupings for auction interesting. Many times I have seen a tunic and an A-2 for auction. The tunic is many times a size 36 and the A-2 a 38, in other words the airman wore a size larger than his suit size. Not gospel, but seen often.

Skyhawk

It makes sense the loose fit. If you have ever put on a flight jacket over a flight suit you can tell right away that your jacket has way less room. Combine that with layering a little and your jacket quickly becomes too tight for comfort. Flight jackets were not designed to be worn with just a T shirt.

Style and look is another story. There's nothing wrong with getting a slim fit if you like the look in my book. Especially if you are never going to layer under it. Kind of pointless to have extra room if you never need it.

Steve27752

To be honest, that is the fit that I go for on a A2, I have never believed in the spray on tight fitting A2. That is a Hollywood movie style,

CBI

Nice photo. Roomier is the way to go IMO. I used to like the tighter fit but it's impractical and really looks out of proportion to me now. It's interesting to also look at vintage clothing ads. They promote all sorts of sizes/fits. You do see more high waisted jackets back then for sure. There is also a moto jacket tradition of close fitting leather jackets, kind of like a protective leather "suit" Hey, to each his own but over on the FL (for example), there are these pics showing awesome fits where the jackets IMO are ridiculously tight yet guys are saying "woohoo, perfect fit!" That said, it's just clothing so whatever people get excited about is fine?????!!!!!!

veli1

I noticed the waist width of these guys which is phenomenal. This is the "look" that i want for myself, on the other side i don't like baggy clothes.
I agree with Steve, the body of the jacket is too long.

MikeyB-17

Without fishing out the book I recall that this pic was taken when the chap in the A-2 was about to ship out for home, having lost an eye. The chap on the left I believe is called Louis Sebille. He was KIA in Korea and won the MOH when he deliberately crashed his damaged P-51 into a Korean convoy.

Robman

I do agree with CBIs statement regarding the FL. They seem like a friendly bunch and I am a member but I have to say they have a tendency to obsess over the fits. I have seen some spray painted on looking jackets receiving accolades from the membership which left me baffled.

I have seemingly always been a "tweener" in sizing. Currently a 46 but need a 48. I have squeezed into some 46s and they looked fine but frankly just too darned tight across the back and shoulders. Years of weightlifting has made my upper back a bit thick and it throws sizes off and I have always had to go up a size. The length and mid sections are a bit loose for sure but I learned something. After a break in period the baggieness become less pronounced and the drape is similar to what I see in so many photos from the period.

Several years ago I gave up weight training and took up running and got down to where I measured a 42 but the same thing happened, I needed a 44 in an A-2. I insisted to myself I needed a 42 in my A-2s and forced myself to wear them and they just didn't work for me. However in my head I told myself that the forum "fit police" would have something to say about it!

I like to wear what's comfortable now and obsess far less!