• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nose Art during Vietnam Conflict

Thomas Koehle

Gentlemen,

does anyone have any photo-evidence of flightjackets and possibly aircraft showing noseart/patches/personalisation????

Cheers
Thomas

B-Man2

Thomas
It was so hot that on very rare occasions did anyone wear flight jackets unless you were a jet jockey in which case there are several examples of patched jackets. Most helicopter pilots opted for patches sewn to their fatigue or jungle shirts or flight suits.

IMG_2576.jpeg

Maverickson

They didn’t need to wear any jacket, unless they were sataioned in Japan,

On the contrary, I would have to say that G-1 flight jackets were in fact worn by USN aviators during Vietnam. As evidenced to images I've seen taken during my late father's 1968 combat deployment in the Gulf of Tonkin while aboard the USS Oriskany.

Those pix were taken in December or January and early morning. Found as a part of a collection from the National Archives.

I know for certain that my father's G-1 went with him on both his Oriskany combat deployments.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Erwin

They didn’t need to wear any jacket, unless they were sataioned in Japan,
You can see a lot of pictures of US personnel using field or flight jackets. Some areas in certain seasons can be not super hot there. I had the pleasure of discussing the topic of using m65 with a USMC NAM veteran. Some g1 examples, a lot of pictures can be found online.

Thomas, are you looking for any specific pictures of personalized flight jackets from the Vietnam War?

23057083859_e9129025ac_b.jpg

Vietnam-Marine_Squadrons-HMM_362-933.jpg

namg1.JPG

nam-g1-3.JPG

nam-g1-7.JPG

Shanghai-Mayne

You can see a lot of pictures of US personnel using field or flight jackets. Some areas in certain seasons can be not super hot there. I had the pleasure of discussing the topic of using m65 with a USMC NAM veteran. Some g1 examples, a lot of pictures can be found online.

Thomas, are you looking for any specific pictures of personalized flight jackets from the Vietnam War?

View attachment 138347
View attachment 138349
View attachment 138351
Thank you Erwin , I did miss that part, I didn’t collect any VN war books wrote by Marine .

Shanghai-Mayne

On the contrary, I would have to say that G-1 flight jackets were in fact worn by USN aviators during Vietnam. As evidenced to images I've seen taken during my late father's 1968 combat deployment in the Gulf of Tonkin while aboard the USS Oriskany.

Those pix were taken in December or January and early morning. Found as a part of a collection from the National Archives.

I know for certain that my father's G-1 went with him on both his Oriskany combat deployments.

Cheers, Dave
Thank you Dave

Thomas Koehle

View attachment 138347
View attachment 138349
View attachment 138351

Hi @Erwin

i'm not looking for any photos in particular but just for the general use of G1 and personalisation.

I have some G1 in my collection dated to the respective timeframe and wanted to know whether G1 have actually been popular in these days.

Additional to that i'm interested whether noseart has been used in Vietnam as frequently as during WW2. I did some research in the WWW but found mainly helicopters that have been painted.

Awesome photos btw.

Erwin

Hey Thomas,

Based on pictures from the NAM era G1 usage was a common thing. The artworks on planes are rarer in my opinion than on helicopters, but some interesting examples can be found especially on USAF ones, but looks like it was not very common like during previous conflicts.

This is an interesting topic, does the system of designating, point to any specific information about the personalized paintings? Do we have MIL-SPEC which discloses personalized paintings, or it was up to the squadron's command?
018_WVM.0890.I225.01_cropped.jpg

Very interesting example of a civilian leather flight jacket, if listed on eBay with the description as used by USMC during the NAM era, a lot of forum members would negatively comment on it. Just an interesting example.
img_94-1_6.jpg

120517-F-DW547-006.JPG

Erwin

Well, hard to say without any historical reference, however during the Korean War leather flight jackets by some crews were personalized similarly as during WW2.

Monsoon

"They train young men to drop fire on people but their commanders won't allow them to write 'fuck' on their airplanes because it's obscene."