• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Noob with some questions on G-1

alfanator

Hello Everyone
I just picked up a 50s G1 made by Cagleco. Owned by Lt. Cmdr Thomas Foote from USS Assurance (a minesweeper) from the local gun show.

Got some questions
It smells like it has been stored for 30 years-how do i clean it? Fabreeze the liner?
Mouton collar is a little dry- how do i nourish it?
Using mink oil on the leather OK?

Looking forward to some cold weather so i could use it :)

pipvh

Sounds like a great score! Congrats - you'll need to show us some pictures as well...

As far as getting the smell out, I'd say just hang it in sunshine for a day and see what happens - turn it inside out, perhaps? Sunlight is the best cure for mustiness.

CBI

"Kids and Pets" or some sort of animal smell removal cleaner can work well. Has for me. Rubbing alchohol works to remove mildew - just don't rub too hard as it can remove the dye

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
This thread should help with the odour ...

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5280

With the mouton, perhaps a lanolin shampoo for sheepskin. Mink oil doesn't sound like a good idea for the goatskin, better to give it a sponge bath with a mild soap, and when dry a little conditioner.

Maverickson

Hi Alfanator,

I'm glad to hear from another G-1 enthusiast! It sounds like you have the makings of a fine jacket. However, take it from someone who has also suffered through similar circumstances and lost. What ever you do, in this instance, if suggested do not use the baking soda trick! Although immersing your jacket in a bag full of baking soda does remove unwanted odors, these Cagleco jackets utilize a pesky aluminum toothed Conmar zipper. In the end, the baking soda did a great job removing a rank tobacco odor off of one of my G-1's but for what ever reason it also caused it's aluminum zipper teeth to fall out.

WastedTeeth-2.jpg

The baking soda method should work fine on a jacket exhibiting a zipper which utilizies teeth from a more noble metal but not the Comnar used on your Cagleco ;) .

Cheers, Dave

alfanator

Thanks for the welcome and tips. I washed the collar and cuffs with mild shampoo, the run off was black...fabreezed/sponged the liner and wiped down the leather with a damp sponge. The leather was clean and soft, just the fabric bits were dirty. It is now airing out in the shade with a cool breeze. Hope to get some pics up shortly.

alfanator

Apologies for the absence, here are the pictures with a different hosting service. Hope it works.

The cuffs are replacements but the waistband appear original. I had a tailor replace part of the liner as it was shreaded. Have to say i really like the look and feel of this jacket and looking forward to finding an A2 and another stenciled G1. I think i caught the bug :)

johnwayne

I've got a Cagleco - contract no 383-48082A (also a 44") and which is the G1 I always wanted albeit I didnt know it!! I always hankered after an M442a - maybe it was likelihood of it being WWII but mine does have the cross over traits of scalloped pockets etc.
I'm told by our more learned friends in this forum thats it's a '57 and gotta say I really rate it.

Those same guys will no doubt give you the similar info - some top guys in VLJ you know!!

Difficult to see the quality of the mouton collar from your pics but that was what tempted me with mine, being so good and which is a keeper - enjoy yours!!!

Cheers
Wayne

alfanator

Hi Wayne
The collar is balding in spots, thought about replacing it but now i just wear it flipped up (it is not too tall, it keeps me warm) and i sort of like the patina on it. Sort of a golden borwn color.

It had a few holes/cuts that was patched up with leather from the inside. The skin is surprisingly soft and supple for 50+years. It is not mint by any means but has well worn and taken care of sort of patina on it which adds character IMHO. Will probably just leave the cuffs alone, the original owner replaced it with the thicker wool cuffs with good reason i think. I will restore with original bits as things wear out but i think this jacket is going to outlive me :)