• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice period photos (all jackets except A-2's)

Shanghai-Mayne

Left to Right:
Colonel Hubert "Hub " Zemke 17.75 air and 6.5 Ground victories POW 30 October 1944;
Lt. Colonel Dave Schilling Deputy Group CO, 22.5 air and 10.5 ground victories;
Lt. Colonel Francis S. "Gabby" Gabreski, 61st FS CO, 28 victories POW 20 July 1944. Won 6.5 victories during Korea war;
Captain Fred Christensen 62nd FS 21.5 victories including 6 JU-52s shot down in one mission.

Shanghai-Mayne

Allen. John.jpg

14AF SMSRet

One of my heroes, LT COL William Yarborough, CO of the 509th Parachute Infantry Battalion during WWII. A member of the original parachute battalion in 1940, he designed the paratrooper uniform and boots, and the parachutist jump wing that is still being worn today. He was instrumental in getting the green beret accepted as headgear for the Army special forces. I had the honor to meet and interview him at Fort Bragg in the early 2000's. He was truly a legend amongst paratroopers and special forces.

Last edited:

Blackboxr1200S

Mouton. :D

The gun powder factory opened in 1940 in Radford, if I was to guess I'd bet that could be a lead topic.

One guy might be a reporter?

Just saw the chest the one guy is carrying on his shoulder -- curious.
Blond or brown mouton? :confused:

You're correct... Photographed by John Felix Vachon
Original caption:"Influx of construction workers to build Hercules Powder Plant -- new arrivals in town. They've come by bus from West Radford."
Chest appears to be a carpenter toolbox (or so I read) and you don't carry a heavy box by the handle.