• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice period photos (all jackets except A-2's)

Shanghai-Mayne

IMG_2654.jpeg

Chandler

I don't think that tucking was done purposely. My G-1 was long and the waistband would often push up under when I was driving -- had to adjust when I got out of the car.

Enigma1938

I don't think that tucking was done purposely. My G-1 was long and the waistband would often push up under when I was driving -- had to adjust when I got out of the car.
Yep, just lift your arms over the head and in the case you have a relatively firm waistband the result will be the same when you relax your arms again...

NAS Jacksonville, FL, 1943.

View attachment 117731

I've seen it on some photos of USN aviators (and some USAAF), but I've always wondered why pilots tend to tuck their waist bands. Can anyone shed light on that?

View attachment 117733
Why tuck the waistband up? Because sitting in the seat of an aircraft or anywhere, the distance belt line to shoulder is less than total length of the jacket. Standing, it is not an issue. The MA-1 was shorter and more comfortable. The CWU jackets were lighter and more flexible. I never thought to tuck my G-1 under but I can see why some would do that.

Attachments

• 20210303_082214.jpg
    20210303_082214.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 71