• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice original ? 506th airborne A-2

Roughwear

This is an interesting jacket which is not quite what it seems. The jacket is a 1942 Star Sportswear A2 with a repro RW label applied to it. The typical Star size label is clear from one of the photos. The zipper appears to be a replacement.

Jeff M

Patches authentic?
Seems odd that the 101st Airborne patch is not on the shoulder.
If I am correct, isn't the shoulder patch that which was worn by airborne units prior to their being assigned to a specific division? What is that "yet to be assigned" shoulder patch called?
It would have been worn during training at Camp Toccoa...but not once the unit was assigned to the 101st.
How likely is it that the owner of the jacket left the 506th prior to their being assigned to the 101st, and did not change the patches over to their new unit?

Jeff M

Roughwear said:
This is an interesting jacket which is not quite what it seems. The jacket is a 1942 Star Sportswear A2 with a repro RW label applied to it. The typical Star size label is clear from one of the photos. The zipper appears to be a replacement.

If really a vintage jacket, why put a repro RW label on it?

Peter Graham

Jeff M said:
Peter Graham said:
I had a quick search. No mention of an M.R. Aspley in the 506th or indeed the 101st.

Peter, where do you search old unit records at?
Errr...I didn't. Just did a google search and no connection between the name and the 506th nor the 101st. Not conclusive I know but if I was thinking of buying that jacket I'd dig pretty deep.

Jeff M

Peter Graham said:
Jeff M said:
Peter Graham said:
I had a quick search. No mention of an M.R. Aspley in the 506th or indeed the 101st.

Peter, where do you search old unit records at?
Errr...I didn't. Just did a google search and no connection between the name and the 506th nor the 101st. Not conclusive I know but if I was thinking of buying that jacket I'd dig pretty deep.

This looks like a good site for researching who was in the 506th;

http://www.506infantry.org/Memorial/wwa.htm

http://www.506infantry.org/Memorial/lastrollcall.htm

No Aspley.

Jeff M

Been in communication with the seller.
She notes she is not up on WW2 gear.
Says she bought the jacket from "a known WW2 collector in France" who got it from a vet many years ago.

Ahhh those Frenchies. :lol:

a2jacketpatches

The replacement troops patch looks very clean compared to the white on the para-dice patch, I can see it on an enlisted M-43 but not an officers A-2. A screaming eagle belongs there for sure.

A

Anonymous

Jeff M said:
Says she bought the jacket from "a known WW2 collector in France" who got it from a vet many years ago.

So was she traveling around France, and not known jack about jackets decides she will buy this one, and carry it around while enjoying her baguette?

Jeff M

chitchat said:
Jeff M said:

So was she traveling around France, and not known jack about jackets decides she will buy this one, and carry it around while enjoying her baguette?

...Oui....

dmar836

How stupid does she think we are? Look at her other items - all airborne items (from different troopers) with tempting descriptions and all high prices. She certainly knows something.

There are guys like this that repeatedly sell on EBay airborne stuff "found in a Normandy barn" that was "purchased at a quaint French outdoor market" by the seller. This smokescreen appears to work on newbs quite often. Some have been caught selling D-ring M-1 helmets or rare sets of rigger modified M42 trousers" many times - ie. faking many pairs. The story is always the same as it requires and , if actually true, would warrant no provenance.

A jacket like this had better have provenance and with a replacement zip and label even more of a story.

Dave

Jeff M

Well, she offered it to me for $2500. Noted there are 24 watchers and many people emailing her about ending the auction for them.

Also has a WW2 101st Airborne pathfinder ike jacket (?) if I am interested. Can send me images. :shock:

With this auction, when I pointed out to her the oddity of the replacement unit shoulder patch rather than the 101st Airborne, she replied;

"Hi , I have no clue.. I just got it from the guy he is 100 % honest and what I heard from many other collectors. He had a large collection sold all items to me. He got most of his collection from ww2 us army airborne vets there families and some items found in normandy and southern france. Whi knows maybe the guy had these patches on first and he had another a-2 jacket as well and had other patches on the other jacket ? Who really knows , only if the jacket could tell it hostory of where and what it did. Thanks for the info.. "

and later when I noted nobody with the name of Aspley shows up in the 506th PIR site,;
"Yeah I am not into really ww2 items , just thought I got a deal to buy everyhing. Maybe there was a guy named that name , then he transfered to another company right after or he died ? I have no clue like I said. But thanks so much for the info what you told me. "

I replied that I rather doubted he would have transfered companies without changing the patches, and that the 506th site seemed pretty inclusive.
Haven't heard back from her since.

unclegrumpy

dmar836 said:
There are guys like this that repeatedly sell on EBay airborne stuff "found in a Normandy barn" that was "purchased at a quaint French outdoor market" by the seller. Dave
I don't understand why you doubt her story. ;)

It was standard operating procedure (SOP) for Airborne Troopers to take their pants off and leave them in a French barns or hanging on stable hooks. From there, they continued the fight in their shorts, which is how they garnered their nickname from the Germans..."those devils in baggie pants".....and the truth to why so many were so cold in the Battle of the Bulge. :shock:

Available from the same seller, these rare 506th PIR shorts were recently found when a bed was moved in an old Normandy farmhouse.....if they could only talk we'd have some very interesting provenance! :D

506th_pir_boxer_shorts.jpg

dmar836

LOL. Well played.

For someone who "has no clue" she sure has thought out plenty of alternative reasons why this jacket is the real deal. I often wonder why people don't spend nearly as much time analyzing the probability of authenticity when they are selling something as when they are buying.
If she paid anywhere near what she is asking for her items she is nuts. If not, why the huge markup? My guess is he/she is making every bit of this up from the get-go.

Dave

SuinBruin

Airborne stuff is hot. 101st stuff is hotter. 506th PIR/BoB stuff is the hottest of hot. I have to think that if this were real a collector in the know would have snapped it up at that price by now.