• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice A2 of John Lolos P-47 pilot of 348th Fighter Group

Roughwear

It is very unusual to see the name strip sewn on the pocket. The early ones had it sewn just above the pocket. This Dubow appears to be in excellent original condition.

A

Anonymous

The owner is Greek, no wonder why the nametag is on the pocket.

A

Anonymous

No, it's just that Greeks can't do anything right. (kidding)

EMBLEMHUNTER

could the name strip have been moved at a later time to the pocket seeing as the "wing " patch is about where the name strip usually goes ????????
Johnny

Jaguar46

I love to see stories like this.

I hope you don't mind me posting this, in your thread. I had posted it earlier in another thread. If this constitutes thread hijacking, I apologize.

I went to see the Liberty Belle in Santa Rosa. My friend didn't make it, and when a space opened up I ended up taking another trip on her.

While there I ran into a veteran, Colonel Bill Mannix (William C. Mannix), who was with his family. He flew a B17 in WWII as a Captain then, 401st Bomb Group, piloting the Satan's Chille'n. They brought along his original Rough Wear A2.

P1010957.jpg

P1010962.jpg

P1010963.jpg

P1010968.jpg

While sitting there the daughter was searching through the pocket and retrieved this photo. She did not know how it got there.
P1010975.jpg

When I got home I came across this website collection of jacket photos in B&W. Look at the 2nd row, last photo to the right.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/18532986@N ... 475210689/

Also came across this site. Good crew pics, and bomber pics.

http://401bg.org/index.asp

And this pic

crew_mannix2.jpg

Titled: W. C. Mannix Crew
612th Bomb Squadron
"Satan's Chillen"

Source: 401st BG Association Collection

EMBLEMHUNTER

That was a very lucky chance you passing the way of the 401st veteran and him having his original jacket with at the time !
it is always great to be able to meet and thank true veterans like this ,now if only those great jacket photos were all in color !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny