• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Next Jacket, M422a?

rob20uk

Hi Guys,

I am looking at buying a new jacket and thought I would ask for some thoughts from you guys.

So I currently have a 1950s Flight Jacket from Aero (see below), it has Alpaca lining and a black fur collar. It's made with the full weight tumbled brown horse hide. Its a fantastic jacket and fits really well, lots of room to put a jumper on under it etc. The only issue I have is its very very thick and heavy and honestly its just not flexible enough.
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=15

I might consider getting one made in thinner leather but honestly it looks like I would be better off just buying an M422a. The M422a look good and look like they are quite flexible to wear, also the goatskin is a LOT more flexible than the full weight tumbled horse hide. As long as I could wear it with a thick jumper (think Aero submariner roll neck) I think I would be fine.

Have you guys any thoughts on the M422a?

Is it the sort of jacket that you could wear a thick jumper under without it feeling really tight?

Any thoughts you guys could give would be much appreciated.

For reference the M422a I am looking at is below
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=98

Thanks in advance for any responses.

R

s4rmark

M422A is a very easy and comfortable wearing jacket and as it is made of goatskin it is also light in weight. Get your sizing right and I don’t see any problem in wearing a heavy sweater underneath. As you are looking at the Aero M422A take a look at their military sweaters as well, I have the submariner and paratrooper versions (very warm) .

Brettafett

M422 and M422as are super jackets. Very comfortable and easy to wear. Classics!!!
John of Goodwear probably makes one of the best repro M422/ M422as out there. Big bucks, super long wait.
Right up there is Headwind Mfg. Just took at the reviews on here. I have owned one and reluctantly sold due to size. This jacket has to be seen in person to be believed. Reasonably priced and average wait times (in the UK I got sucker-punched by import duties and taxes, so beware).
I have had a couple of Eastman's versions also, very nice jackets. Very comfy and easy to grab out the door. Size up if you want a comfy fit or want to layer. Goat is really nice, but the mouton is not as nice as Headwind's or GWs, which generally are genuine vintage fur.
Cockpit make a 100 missions G-1, which is actually tagged an M422a. Not based on any WW2 pattern, but a great jacket all the same.
G&B made a nice looking M422a, but sizing was very weird and the goatskin looked flat, I gave up a long time ago.

Griffon_301

I own both a ELC G-1 and a M-422a and love both...easy wearing, great looking and very practical jackets!
I would not go a size up as you should be easily able to wear thicker sweatshirts or pullovers underneath...

Brettafett

Perhaps it depends on the maker, and/or contract thats being reproduced (and maybe also a person's body type)...
The ELC M422a size 40 fit me ok, but is a bit tight in the shoulders (the G-1 size 40 on other hand sits perfectly for me).
ELC M422a size 42 fit me beautifully, not much bigger, but gave just a touch more room in the shoulders. I could wear a t-shirt or a jumper. Just the pattern I guess.
I had an original G&F M422a size 40 which fit immaculately, including lengths, yet to find an M422 that fit as well s this.
Headwinds HL Block M422a size 40 was a good fit, but I could have gone down to a 38.
Cockpit 100 Missions G-1 (and all the variants, Forrestal etc), go your regular size. For me the 40 fits perfectly, 42 is ok also...
I do have my eye on ELC's G-1.
My AVI LTHR 55J14 gets a lot of wear. Its a size 42 and is snug as bug, but so very comfy.

Griffon_301

I noticed that the ELC 422a sits a little bit different compared to the G-1 but I think that's because it is cut a little bit differently...both jackets are a size 46 and they sit perfectly with the G-1 being a little bit more perfect in that regard...
I guess it really boils down to the bodY type also and I have come to the conclusion that for me the important measurement is the shoulder width (and length being the second important measurment)
If it fits on the shoulders, the rest is a good fit too...if I would buy my jackets to go for the perfect pit to pit measurements only, I would end up with very snug, trim fitting jackets...they would still look good but I would lot have much room for layering underneath...

B-Man2

I noticed that the ELC 422a sits a little bit different compared to the G-1 but I think that's because it is cut a little bit differently...both jackets are a size 46 and they sit perfectly with the G-1 being a little bit more perfect in that regard...
I guess it really boils down to the bodY type also and I have come to the conclusion that for me the important measurement is the shoulder width (and length being the second important measurment)
If it fits on the shoulders, the rest is a good fit too...if I would buy my jackets to go for the perfect pit to pit measurements only, I would end up with very snug, trim fitting jackets...they would still look good but I would lot have much room for layering underneath...
Griffon
What size do you wear? And.... have you given any thought to an original 422a?

SteveN

I second the going original as a potential route. I've got two; the G&F and W&G, both size 40 and wearing fine for layering (I'm a 38). You should be able to get one for $600-800 in mint condition if you are patient, and you'll have that perfect and oh-so-hard-to-replicate goatskin leather from the 1940's.

Griffon_301

I am wearing a size 46 for the ELC jackets mostly, but I also have a B-15 and a B-3 from them in 44...
For other jackets, it depends...

Luckily I was able to try on most of the jackets I wanted to buy either in Duxford when ELC still had their stall there or in the Clutch Cafe and American Classics in London when we made it to the UK for shorter or longer trips...

I was never giving much thought to original jackets as they are virtually impossible to source where I live...
Also, I am not viewing myself as a collector or expert as some of you guys here are but my interest in the various jackets just grew over the last few years and thanks to BR, ELC and cohorts I was able to acquire some fine jackets that look great compared to 90% of the fancy jackets other people wear here..
The hidden history in them is just an added bonus...

But one shall never say never...so maybe, given the right time and jacket, I might go and get my first original jacket :)

For now I am looking for a nice ANJ-4 or even more preferably a M-444 or M-445...those Navy shearlings just look great...
Found two nice pictures today, allegedly taken in the Aleutians which resparked my interest in a Navy shearling...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200112-111653_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20200112-111653_Instagram.jpg
    855.4 KB · Views: 201
  • Screenshot_20200112-111732_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20200112-111732_Instagram.jpg
    765.7 KB · Views: 162

rob20uk

Thanks for all the feedback. All in all it sounds like the M422A will be a good fit. The fact its goat skin and has a collar that buttons up should mean its a lot more wether resistant than the 1950s style flight jacket.

I ordered a M422A from Aeros sales page so I am going to use that as a sizing guide and to see if I like the jacket. If the fit and look is good and I don't feel the jacket suffers from boxy shoulders then I might get them to make me one.

The jackets M422A from Goodwear look stunning, having original fur really makes the jacket pop. I have dropped an email to John and will very seriously consider putting down a deposit on one. With a wait of 18-24 months I figure I should get my number in early on that one.

@s4rmark I have 3 of the sweaters you are talking about. I absolutely love them, they are really timeless in design and very very practical.

Brettafett

You should contact Headwind - https://www.headwindmfg.com/jackets.html
Half the price of John's, but just as good. Mr Steve Sellers has examples of all the M422/ M422a contracts and also using vintage mouton. Half the cost and a fraction of the wait...
Edit: If you can find an original in good condition, and in your size, by all means. However, be warned... Cleanliness aside, if it needs any tinkering - knit, zipper, lining, mouton etc... and depending where you live, it could be expensive and tricky to renovate.

B-Man2

I am wearing a size 46 for the ELC jackets mostly, but I also have a B-15 and a B-3 from them in 44...
For other jackets, it depends...

Luckily I was able to try on most of the jackets I wanted to buy either in Duxford when ELC still had their stall there or in the Clutch Cafe and American Classics in London when we made it to the UK for shorter or longer trips...

I was never giving much thought to original jackets as they are virtually impossible to source where I live...
Also, I am not viewing myself as a collector or expert as some of you guys here are but my interest in the various jackets just grew over the last few years and thanks to BR, ELC and cohorts I was able to acquire some fine jackets that look great compared to 90% of the fancy jackets other people wear here..
The hidden history in them is just an added bonus...

But one shall never say never...so maybe, given the right time and jacket, I might go and get my first original jacket :)

For now I am looking for a nice ANJ-4 or even more preferably a M-444 or M-445...those Navy shearlings just look great...
Found two nice pictures today, allegedly taken in the Aleutians which resparked my interest in a Navy shearling...
I have an original W&G size 46 for sale in mint condition. It would be fairly expensive but If anyone is interested I’ll put it up in the For Sale Section.

Brettafett

Funny, I just received my BK RW23380, and once again, I am very impressed.
So, I am now thinking their W&G M422 for my next jacket...

CBI

Unless you are an odd size, I would opt for an original G-1. Much cheaper, looks almost exactly like an m422a..............and its the real thing!

rob20uk

Just curious, all you guys seem to be talking about many different makers but not much about Aero.

Have you any thoughts on the Aero m422a?

After doing a bit more research its looking like a G-1 might be the right way to go.

Last edited:

adfrost

Just curious, all you guys seem to be talking about many different makers but not much about Aero.

Have you any thoughts on the Aero m422a?

I recently posted some photos of mine in the repro forum to get fit advice. Can’t say I’m happy with the fit, personally. The shoulders are very boxy and where the sleeves attach in the front is unlike any other USN jacket I’ve seen, which causes the chest to bind more than it probably should. I’ll probably be looking to sell it shortly if I’m satisfied with the Five Star I ordered. I will say however that the goat skin looks fantastic, and the knits are proper rib-rack. Materials & build quality seem top-notch to me, the pattern is just weird. But that jacket is 10yrs old, so maybe they’ve corrected that since.

Heres an album of mine: https://www.flickr.com/gp/88005189@N05/6JE9bP