• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Next cap project

deand

Just acquired this for my next cap project. Now I need an idea for it, which usually results from a good photo. It'll need to be of an entirely blue cap, I'm swearing off the fabric paint...it makes fabric look like vinyl.

CBu0TOg2kKGrHqQOKpME0VKHPTOzBNI1b6Odtg_3.jpg

dean

Willy McCoy

Have you tried "One-Shot" paint? Acrylics weren't around until the 60's so my guess is that enamels were used.

I really like the caps you have made.
I think that felt was used primarily on the fabric caps along with chain stitched embroidery.

deand

No, but if I do any more painting, I will definitely try them. The toughest part of these projects is visual information, a cap to reproduce, whether with felt, paint or whatever was actually used. Thank you for your kind comments on the caps, it is much appreciated.

dean

Willy McCoy

I can't remember if it was on the old forum or here, but Danny had posted an interior shot of the store in Yakota Japan where the Air Crew would purchase the caps. If you know where that picture is put it onto this thread and we could build this thread into a "Caps" thread instead of making several threads for caps. It would be nice to have one thread for referencing squadron caps. Just an idea.

Willy McCoy

That's the picture. I like everything about that picture. The man in the picture looks like my dad when he was in the Korean War. He was basically an FAC for Army Intelligence.
I'll see if I can dig up some more later this evening to post on this thread. I have a red leather cap coming in from the east coast that I won off eBay. I have a few blank 3 & 4 panel caps too.

A

Anonymous

Somebody needs to start making those caps. I will buy three.

deand

chitchat said:
Somebody needs to start making those caps. I will buy three.

I just try to make my own. To this point, nobody is producing them in any quantity, or making them presently available. But somone will. Someday. If not me.

dean

A

Anonymous

Seriously, try and find patterns that were used. I know nothing of the designs, but it looks like the 48 states were represented, assuming along with specific squadrons.

A

Anonymous

These would be great for air shows with DI'S pinned on them.

A

Anonymous

Looks like there should be a few originals around, but I never see them at shows or on the Bay.