• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newman's own USN jacket

kevlarg

I was reading an article on Paul Newman in Vanity Fair and came across this photo of Paul wearing a USN deck jacket. I thought I would share it with you all.

paul_newman1.jpg

Bluebottle

Classic photo :cool:

Thanks for sharing, made me look into his military service on wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Newman

Military service
Newman served in the Navy in World War II in the Pacific theater. Newman was sent to the Navy V-12 program at Ohio University, with hope of being accepted for pilot training, but this plan was foiled when a flight physical revealed him to be colorblind. He was sent instead to boot camp and then on to further training as a radioman and gunner. Qualifying as a rear-seat radioman and gunner in torpedo bombers, in 1944, Aviation Radioman Third Class Newman was sent to Barber's Point, Hawaii, and subsequently assigned to Pacific-based replacement torpedo squadrons (VT-98, VT-99, and VT-100). These torpedo squadrons were responsible primarily for training replacement pilots and combat air crewmen, placing particular importance on carrier landings. He later flew from aircraft carriers as a tail gunner in the Avenger. As a radioman/gunner, he served aboard the USS Bunker Hill during the battle for Okinawa in the spring of 1945. He was ordered to the ship as radioman/gunner in an Avenger with a draft of replacements shortly before the attack, but by a fluke of war was held back because his pilot had an ear infection. The rest of his detail died.

Grant

The N-1 is an extremely warm jacket. The thick alpaca lining, wool knit sleeves and longer cut to the torso make for a very comfortable jacket.

Grant

The N-1 jacket was a popular jacket for us to use. In CIC it is pretty cold and if you left your jacket unattended for more than a second, it was on somebody else. They make a newer model. It has a NOMEX outer shell with a faux fur lining and corduroy collar. I usually wore my CWU 45. I did not know about Paul Newman's Navy career. Who woulda thunk it?

zoomer

Too modest to brag. Like many another member of the GG.

I used to shop at Carl Fischer Music. They had a 7 foot tall tuba standing on end in one corner of the store. It had been made for them about 1900 and of course, nobody gave a good goddam about it.

tuba_giant_112.gif

NOT ME.