• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newly-acquired USN deck jacket

watchmanjimg

Just picked up this nice US Navy deck jacket in OD "jungle cloth" with wool/alpaca lining. Although this one resembles the type used in WW2 and Korea, it appears to be dated 1960 per the spec label. Regardless of its vintage, this jacket offers the heavy construction of the earlier models and I'm very pleased to have it in my collection. It's a decent size 42R and in quite solid condition apart from a small hole along the edge of the left cuff and scattered rusty stains here and there. It sports a brass Talon zip and inner storm cuffs. All original buttons are present as well. Finally, the rear of the jacket bears the stencil of USS Saratoga, a carrier that saw action in the latter part of the Vietnam conflict. Enjoy!

DeckJacket001.jpg
DeckJacket007.jpg
DeckJacket002.jpg

DeckJacket003.jpg
DeckJacket005.jpg
DeckJacket006.jpg

DeckJacket008.jpg

Grant

Nice N-1! Interesting you call it "jungle Cloth" as I always heard it referred to as Bedford cord. N-1's with stencils on the back are sought after by collectors so you got yourself a real winner. Where does it say on the spec label it was made in the 60's?

Peter Graham

Looks great Jim. I'm very fond of N-1's. Apart from the zipper and the label it looks identical to WW2 jackets, even down to the font of the USN stencil. Nice catch but I can't see it getting much wear in Florida. !

watchmanjimg

Grant said:
Nice N-1! Interesting you call it "jungle Cloth" as I always heard it referred to as Bedford cord. N-1's with stencils on the back are sought after by collectors so you got yourself a real winner. Where does it say on the spec label it was made in the 60's?

Thanks for the kind words, Grant. My use of the term "jungle cloth" came from seeing it referred to as such in the Buzz Rickson's catalog. Now that you mention it, I've heard it called Bedford cord as well as grosgrain. Regarding the spec label, it reads in relevant part as follows:

DA-36-243-QM (CTM) 8001-C-60

Based on my observations I assume this denotes a 1960 contract date, but I welcome information to the contrary. Do you have reason to think it's older?

Peter Graham said:
Looks great Jim. I'm very fond of N-1's. Apart from the zipper and the label it looks identical to WW2 jackets, even down to the font of the USN stencil. Nice catch but I can't see it getting much wear in Florida. !

Thanks for your comments as well, Peter. This one probably won't get too much use down here, but once in awhile we get cool enough weather for it. I can also pack it on my occasional visits to other parts of the country. In any case I think we all know that I buy these items for the sheer pleasure of ownership more than anything else. :D

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
watchmanjimg said:
... My use of the term "jungle cloth" came from seeing it referred to as such in the Buzz Rickson's catalog. Now that you mention it, I've heard it called Bedford cord as well as grosgrain.

It's the same thing ... Jungle cloth is Bedford Cord.

Bedford Cord (Navy "Jungle" cloth)
National Research Council (US)

Nice jacket ... I like 'em. ;)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
watchmanjimg said:
Regarding the spec label, it reads in relevant part as follows:

DA-36-243-QM (CTM) 8001-C-60

Based on my observations I assume this denotes a 1960 contract date, but I welcome information to the contrary.

I think you're right with the dating, here's a similar contract number ...

POUCH, SMALL ARMS, AMMUNITION, UNIVERSAL FSN 8465-647-0852 DA 36-243-QM (CTM)-4726-E-60 SEPT. 1959

Atticus

And the same contract number "format" is found on this 1959-1960 Ownbey MA-1 tag.

wisconsin176-1.jpg

That's a great jacket, Jim. I spend a lot of time on the water. In cold weather nothing beats a deck jacket for comfort and warmth. I've got two 1974 A-2 deck jackets that have served me well during cool, late-fall offshore fishing trips.

AF

EMBLEMHUNTER

I just saw an N-1 at a place earlier today, it was a grayish color , the only tags on it were ne in the collar area white with black "N-1"
and a size tag on the inner edge of the left pocket (as wearing it) it had a YKK zipper , the jacket is in excellent condition ,should I have gotten it, and is it worth anything ??????? It had no other stencils/markings I could find, inside pockets other otherwise. The material it was made of was very stiff and it had the alpaca lining .
Johnny
e mail me please

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
EMBLEMHUNTER said:
... it had a YKK zipper , the jacket is in excellent condition ,should I have gotten it, and is it worth anything ???????

Sounds like something made for the civilian market, and probably of no special value. If the price is right, you like it, and it fits ... it's worth buying anyway.

EMBLEMHUNTER

I was curious as it looks just like the OD green one in the first posting except it doesn't have the "USN' ink stamped on the left front,and looks as though if it was originally OD that it has faded to a Grayish color, but it was in very good condition overall, and the collar tag just said "N-1" in black on a white sewn in tag.

watchmanjimg

I'm with David on this. The jacket you describe sounds like the type produced for the civilian market and commonly seen in traditional Army/Navy stores. In my experience these are no match for originals, but you be the judge.

asiamiles

watchmanjimg said:
I'm with David on this. The jacket you describe sounds like the type produced for the civilian market and commonly seen in traditional Army/Navy stores. In my experience these are no match for originals, but you be the judge.

In Japan there are a lot of N-1 repro's; top of the range ones from the likes of Buzz and McCoy to less accurate and less expensive copies to jackets that use the basic design and then add details or quirks or go off at a tangent. I would guess there must be plenty of similar jackets around in its home country. As David said, if the price is right and you like it...

Weasel_Loader

You know, these N-1 jacket are starting to get my attention. I've been thinking about a Tanker too. Is the N-1 a heavier jacket than the Tankers?

watchmanjimg

I'd say so, Danny. The shell is a bit sturdier and I think the wool/alpaca fleece is more substantial than the blanket lining of the tanker.