• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie -- Looking for a Recommendation

RumRunner

Hi all. I'd like to up my jacket game a bit but I never envisioned that there would be so much diversity to the idea of "a leather flight jacket". I'm kind of overwhelmed. o_O

I'm looking to purchase a decent, good-quality jacket somewhere in between "Amazon search for 'leather flight jacket'" and "Corinthian leather jacket custom tailored by artisans on the farm where you come and select the animal your jacket will be made from". I'm hoping you all can help -- if this isn't an appropriate post please let me know and I'll get rid of it.

Use case is normal everyday wear with t-shirt and jeans, occasionally collared shirt and khakis.

Here are things that I would factor into my decision:
  • I am 6'5", want to be sure it's not too short
  • Prefer a fit closer to the body; more like a windbreaker, less like a ski jacket (no "swashbuckler" sleeves)
  • Doesn't have a heavy/thick liner, comfortable for late spring/early fall wear (and possibly over a sweater for winter)
  • Inside/liner pocket (cell phone, glasses)
  • I like side entry handwarmer pockets in the front
  • I like the gussets/bi-swing back on the G-1, but not a "must have"
  • Not necessarily looking for a shearling collar unless it is removable (not opposed to it for winter wear though)
  • Color: medium to dark brown; not red, not black
Budget at this time would be about $300.

No real preference for leather type -- does it really make a difference? Ideally it would be at least somewhat weatherproof (don't want to have to treat it with spray or anything).

In short, not really looking for something 100% true to vintage WWII spec at this time, just something comfortable that will look good.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Nnatalie

Agreed, Five Star sounds like a good bet for you. I've got an A-2 and one of the Sky King's from them, and they hit the right point between quality, affordable, and customizability (say, if you want the side handwarmer pockets, or a bit of added length). I was able to have them make one that fits me as a petite woman, which would probably have been a problem with some of the fancier makers, unless I went to the tip-top of the price range.

RumRunner

Seriously.. Get a look at Five Star's copy of the Air Comfort. Sky King? Couple of them here on the forum to look at too...

I will give that a look, thanks! I've seen the Five Star name pop up somewhat frequently and they do seem to be a bit more affordable than other manufacturers.

Sorry to hear about your cold hands. :cool:

Agreed, Five Star sounds like a good bet for you. I've got an A-2 and one of the Sky King's from them, and they hit the right point between quality, affordable, and customizability (say, if you want the side handwarmer pockets, or a bit of added length). I was able to have them make one that fits me as a petite woman, which would probably have been a problem with some of the fancier makers, unless I went to the tip-top of the price range.

Thank you, this is very helpful. Did they charge you extra for customization? I presume "special order" takes more time than "off the rack" (I am rarely ever able to buy off the rack comfortably...)

mulceber

In @Nnatalie's (my wife's) case, the customization was free, since she's petite enough that any extra cost of customizing was made up by materials saved. I've had some mild customization done on my jackets from Shawn as well and as near as I can tell (Shawn just gave me the price at the end, didn't really itemize), the cost was at most $30.

And FWIW, I'll second (third? fourth?) everyone else's recommendation to go with Five Star. They're great as a gateway drug jacket.

Brettafett

Haha I might seem like an AVI-groupie, but I just posted my M-422A review...
This is a more original-maker 'authentic' patterned contract, as opposed to a civilian type you were alluding too. No hand-warmer pockets here.
AVI LTHR has a number of military and forthcoming civilian styles... No harm popping Morten @mortene an email and asking. I dont see why they can't do a G-1 or M-422A style with hand warmer pockets.

@Shawn Ali at 5* will create anything you want, many here have his jackets also.

Southoftheborder

You seem to be in North America so you could do a lot worse than a Gibson and Barnes civilian G-1 if you want hand warmer pockets. They also sell them without the hand warmer pockets. Not the best repros but very well made with excellent goatskin and better than the likes of Cockpit - and miles better than shopping mall jackets. You don't sound as if you want a stitch for stitch copy of a US issued jacket which is what most here go for. Lots for sale used on eBay in the US usually and well within your price range.