• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie intro

63Strat

Hi everyone,

Longtime lurker and first time poster. My name's Jay and I am based in Auckland, New Zealand. I knew David (deeb7) for quite a few years. His shop was around the corner from where I worked and I used to pop in to have a chat with David and Ross. Mostly about watches. I got my first vintage flight jacket (Aero B3) from David as a part trade for a watch. I learnt a lot from David. He was New Zealand's leading expert on Vintage Rolex. colonial furniture, rugs, Moorcroft amongst others.

I was away in Brisbane when David passed away and missed his funeral. I last saw him a few weeks before his passing which was a great shock to me. I went in to see Ross to offer my condolences. I've been touch with Ross periodically since to see how he is doing. Ross is the executor of David's estate. Essentially, everything is to be auctioned.

Initially, I wasn't comfortable bidding on stuff for obvious reasons. Ross however changed my mind as everything needed to be disposed. I ended up acquiring some of David's flight jackets. I have been wearing them now for a couple of weeks and loving it. Anyways, I hope to participate more on this forum. Cheers! Jay

Some photos of the jackets:

IMG_2999.jpg

IMG_3000.jpg

IMG_3002.jpg

IMG_3003.jpg

IMG_3004.jpg

IMG_3005.jpg

IMG_3006.jpg

IMG_3007.jpg

The B3 I got from David a few years ago

IMG_3008.jpg

dujardin

hello

welcome aboard

thanks for some details about David

enjoy your stay on this forum

marcel

Andrew

Hi Jay, welcome and it's great to see a Kiwi back on the forum. Thanks for the update on David, I was wondering what was happening to his stuff, and it's fantastic to see his gear go to someone who not only appreciates it but also knew the man. He would surely be happy to know that.

Have fun in all that gear.

ausreenactor

G'day..

And Kia Ora! It is great to see some of these jackets again. I spy two that came via Australia ;) . That LSL I was reluctant to let go; however, it was for David after all. Any updates or anecdotes you recall, would be greatly appreciated in the 'deeb7' Memorial posts. Once again, welcome to 'madness central'.

Couchy

63Strat

Thanks for the very warm welcome!!

I'll post some anecdotes on David in the Memorial posts. Ross told me that he was laid to rest in his RMNZ Seal A-2, which according to Ross, was his favorite.

The obsession starts now I believe as I am getting obsessed with the right fit for the A-2. Spoke with Paddy at RMNZ and planning a trip to Christchurch later in the month to try some different sizes and contracts. The one I have, as you all know is a RMNZ Dubow in a 42.

The best fitting one of the lot is the Buzz B-3 in a 40; followed by the B-10 and the Eastman A-1. The RMNZ A-2 and the Few A-1 is o.k. but not perfect.....

airfrogusmc

Welcome and I'm sure David would have rather seen them go to someone that he knew and that really enjoys flight jackets than to strangers.

dmar836

You were able to acquire all of those?! Wow. Great to hear Dave was laid to rest in a flight jacket. Thanks for sharing that.
Peter said it best. Welcome aboard!

Dave

YoungMedic

63Strat said:
Thanks for the very warm welcome!!

I'll post some anecdotes on David in the Memorial posts. Ross told me that he was laid to rest in his RMNZ Seal A-2, which according to Ross, was his favorite.

Now that is really cool

63Strat

The light russet is by the Few in Horsehide and the seal is by Eastman in Capeskin. Love the drape on the Eastman by the way...

Andrew

dmar836 said:
You were able to acquire all of those?! Wow. Great to hear Dave was laid to rest in a flight jacket. Thanks for sharing that.
Peter said it best. Welcome aboard!

Dave
Indeed, how decisive is that? I wonder how many of us could choose which one we'd take...

jack aranda

Yes, welcome to VLJ. Like many others, I'm glad to hear that his jackets went to someone who appreciates them and will wear them. And, thank you for the info about David being laid to rest in his favorite A-2. Great.

2jakes

You are indeed fortunate….I envy you…but not because...
You have a very nice collection of jackets some of us can only dream about,
And tho you have recently joined the Forum…you have the ability to post
beautiful images. While at times..I still struggle !
But to have shared this " love of leather " that we all have & more so for
having a friend that is no longer with us…oh yes…you are indeed fortunate.

Welcome Aboard !
2jakes

63Strat

Hi 2jakes,

Thanks for the kind words. To be honest, the images are 99% flukes. Just a point and shoot camera and hoping for the best....

Cheers!

Jay

Stony

Welcome Jay! There is a lot of flight jacket knowledge on these boards, so feel free to ask if you have any questions.