• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New USAAF and Navy Ball Caps at Eastman.

deand

Yes, PX stands for 'Post Exchange", a stote run by the military installation. Interesting that a 39th Squadron pilot would wear red in WWII, and thenin Korea, they wore yellow caps with black numbers.

dean

deand

Dave,

All I know is that the 8 panel caps were common in the 30s and 40s, and apparently the Japanese used them as a model for caps they made. I hope to get some photographs of an 8 panel Korean war cap that is in a small museum near me. Would serve as an excellent example to use to build repros.

dean

A

Anonymous

Eight panel baseball caps went out by the mid 1930's, and replaced by six panels, at least in major league baseball.

Tim P

Nice looking caps, £20 overpriced at least but still a nice accessory for a flight jacket.
I guess our hobby is not recession proof and the hikes that have been apparent across the board with our manufacturers either have to be sucked up or we reign in.

That is a private purchase cap and as such an issue style labels only legitimate purpose in a repro is to lend it military appeal. I would be surprised (but not shocked) to see such a label in a period item. That said, private purchase garrison caps have official looking labels, just not QM labels.
I may spring for a blue one at some point.

dmar836

Those on FL would have a heyday but I haven't ranted in a while so....

Prices do seem shocking. $15 caps made in China are all over. We are all long lulled by and tolerant of this import drug. In a world of ill-fitting, and disposable goods(clothing included), this seems almost adequate. Do we really need Omega watches and Mercedes Benz? Why such a price difference? The prices are higher because the coasts are higher.
If one is careful about the sourcing of materials and how something is made, things change drastically. Who does it now matters.
There has always been a large cost difference between hand-made items and mass-produced items(notice I said cost - not price). There has also been a large quality difference and also those who cannot understand why they can't have a high cost one for the price of the other. Those never will understand and they are not the niche market.

JC, ELC, etc. have not dropped their prices as nothing has gotten cheaper. Demand also remains so there is no such need. Whether jackets, watches, caps, or caps, these "boutique items" are meant to compare with the best, stay in style, and last several lifetimes - not to be cheaply replaced once slightly worn, damaged, or made obsolete by a new fad. E.g. Von Dutch caps are cheap trucker hats with a logo - Were $60+ and now down to $21 with the economy. Something no one would want to wear in another few years as it's "too dated". Jeans are the same way. To me these items fly high above such disposable garbage.

I suspect in a cottage industry where there is no PTO, no job security, no health care, and no retirement plan, one will be required to pay what another needs to justify this type of venture. Otherwise it's far easier(and less stressful) to work for "the man". These same conditions, albeit not elective, are what allow Chinese to make trucker hats for pennies on the US dollar.

Just because others CAN do it, doesn't mean it's easy or inexpensive. As with all my experiments, I always challenge others to, "Just try it yourself and see what you think."

JMO,
Dave

Tim P

No I agree. Quality is one thing you cant substitute. Problem is that disposable income declining just to get from a to b and feed our faces, the choice to pay top dollar for quality or do without is ever less difficult to make as economic fact takes the reins.

Andrew

There is the possiblity these are also made in China. They only refer to "our reproduction" which doesn't exactly specify ELC make 'em.

Still, Dave I know you could certainly knock these up and they do look very kewl with the Squadron number on the front. I'd love one.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Andrew said:
There is the possiblity these are also made in China. They only refer to "our reproduction" which doesn't exactly specify ELC make 'em.

• Available in sizes 7 – 7 1/2; the fit is true to corresponding conversion of head measure.

Made in England

HPA

deand

Minor points, but I did notice that the reproduction cap has metal vent grommets versus the stitched type on the original, and that the thread on the original is more contrasting with the red wool body then the repro.

dean

jack31916

deand said:
Minor points, but I did notice that the reproduction cap has metal vent grommets versus the stitched type on the original, and that the thread on the original is more contrasting with the red wool body then the repro.

dean

I've got a very old dark blue (six panel) wool cap, simillar to the ELC repro, with metal vent grommets so it could be possible. Bought this cap at The Thrift Shop in London back in 1983 and they had a pile of them. Also had a red wool one but can;t find it anymore.

watchmanjimg

jack31916 said:
deand said:

dean

I've got a very old dark blue (six panel) wool cap, simillar to the ELC repro, with metal vent grommets so it could be possible. Bought this cap at The Thrift Shop in London back in 1983 and they had a pile of them. Also had a red wool one but can;t find it anymore.

Take a look at the photos on HPA's website. The original blue cap appears to have metal eyelets, although I agree that the original red cap shown on the ELC website has stitched eyelets. These are damned tempting, I must say.