• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New REPRO, Buco j-100

DiamondDave

After studying at the foot of the master (Chappy), this time last month. I have just recreated my first MOTO jacket, in the form of
this J-100 by Buco. This has been a long time dream of mine to branch out from the "Military Caps" field, and
get into my second love of making leather jackets!! The design (and Pattern) were painstakingly copied from originals
by John and I, at his shop last month, I would not have had the foggiest idea how to start this process without him, he is a true gentlemena. John has been an absolutely invaluable asset in this process, and I cannot thank him enough. The same attention to detail that he brings to the A-2 field, helped me to make sure that not a single detail was overlooked.

That said, here is a bit about this particular jacket:

3 to 3.5 oz Steerhide, in a lovely and heavy Dark Chocolate color (almost, but not quite black) THIS SH!T IS TOUGH TO SEW!!

Talon zipper sliders/pulls are all originals by Talon, including the main zip which sports a 1947 style Talon "Chocolate Bar" type pull.

Later model, but still original, Talon "Bell" slider/pullers on both sleeve ends

Haavy satin lining (forgot to take pics of inside) in lovely red brown complimentary color.

IMG_2005.jpg

IMG_2003.jpg

IMG_2004.jpg

IMG_2002.jpg

IMG_2007.jpg

jack aranda

Holy Jumping Jackalopes, Dave! That is your FIRST jacket??! :cool: :cool: :cool: . I am just flat out of words, and that aint easy to do. Well done. And thanks for the pics.

fishmeok

Well done Dave! Aren't those zip pockets a pain to make? Took me forever to figure those out...
Cheers
Mark

Tariacuri

Very nice, congrats. I never appreciated how hard it is to make these jackets till I saw what Mark went through.

Chris

DiamondDave

Gentlemen!

Thanks so much for the kudos. More pics to come.

Mark,

Actually, with the way that JC showed me to make those pockets, they really
were the easiest part of this build.... I had FAR more trouble with the main zip
as well as the sleeve ends... that IS A LOT of leather when you get ready to finish
those areas. Gonna keep pluggin away, but its a start, I really hope to hit that "in-between"
market for those that don't want to spend "Good Wear Money" on a decent leather jacket,
but require more authenticity and better design than is otherwise available in the mid range.

Thanks again to all!

DD

CBI

Congrats Dave - GREAT JOB. One day I will ocme and see your shop. We only live an hour or so from each other.

dujardin

splendid work Dave,
congratulation.

so many talents in just one forum; jacket, patch, caps, aso aso.... greatttttttttt.

Dave, you also make caps NO???? just need to make one in black leather to go with your splendid jacket. :lol:
seriously now, the jacket you realise is similar to the one i have from my father; mine is shorter.

again, congrats

marcel

jonnyboy

Fantastic jacket Dave!

Is this the first jacket you have made, or did you need to make a test jacket first? It looks really well put together and very professional. Truly inspirational - well done.

Jon

DiamondDave

Jon,

Yes this was the first jacket that I made. My "test jacket" was one that Chappy and I made together, on which he did the sewing... then I came home to Tulsa and created this one. Of course, I am not yet ready to sell anything, as I see all of the problems with the jacket, but SOON! I am also hoping to offer several other jacket styles of yesteryear very soon!

Chappy may have the "A-2" market "sewn-up" (bad pun intended) but that does not mean that there is no room for other makers to field some great jackets with proper patterns of old, IMHO.

Thanks to ALL for the comments and reactions,

Cheers,

DD

jonnyboy

Dave,

For the first jacket you've sewn together yourself, it looks great. Starting off with a good, accurate pattern obviously helps too.

I've just patterned a 1943 Irvin which I am hoping to reproduce shortly - just waiting for my industrial machines to arrive! :D

I'm making it for myself really, but if it all goes well, who knows....

Cheers,

Jon