• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New patches finally finished

jbmilart

I've finally finished the 4 Tuskegee Airmen patches... and another patch of the 587th Bombardment Squadron, 9th AAF, (B-26). I hope I can figure this photo posting process out... I'll try to put them in order... 99th, 100th, 301st, and the 302nd... 587th last... Jim

002.jpg

dmar836

Great work. I think one of the issues with many repro patches(IMO) is that they are far more detailed and have much more blending and transitioning of colors than originals. Good balance there.
Dave

deand

Dave's right, they are credible, vintage looking, not the ultra-worked modern approach you often see, yet precise enough to be professional and well rendered.

dean

jbmilart

Thanks fellas!... This might sound kinda crazy but, the way I try to approach these is... I try to imagine what it must have been like, to be a private... peeling potatos... (Jeez... KP duty again!)... and the base commander comes over to me and says he wants me to paint all these patches for all the aircrews on the base. To represent our squadron better than any other squadron patch around... without ever changing the original intent of the patches... just make them stand out a little bit... make people take notice... At least that's my theory.
Like I said, I've only been doing this for almost 2 years now... and learning all the time. I've got to get a little faster... as the time involved... (and each patch is a little different)... takes me about 4 to 8 hours to do a patch!

Jim www.jbmilart.com

ButteMT61

They're great for that reason. That's why I've questioned the high quality repros as being as "authentic" as a cheaper one that would be more like govt issue. These patches look great. I must say, the patch thing is starting to grow on me.

EMBLEMHUNTER

Hey Great work for only 2 years into it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been at it 30 and you can view my work on this section of the forum, you'll get better as time goes on an won't even realise how easy they'll be to make !

I found different and quicker ways to make them as I went along , just don't let yourself get bogged down in thinking you're not doing good work , if you enjoy what you're doing when making them , that's what really counts !

johnny

CryptoDave

EMBLEMHUNTER said:
Hey Great work for only 2 years into it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been at it 30 and you can view my work on this section of the forum, you'll get better as time goes on an won't even realise how easy they'll be to make !

I found different and quicker ways to make them as I went along , just don't let yourself get bogged down in thinking you're not doing good work , if you enjoy what you're doing when making them , that's what really counts !

johnny

Johnny,

I have a picture, actually a cartoon of the squadron mascott that my father in law drew up for the unit that he flew with in WWII. My question is, how do I have this made into a patch?

Thanks,

Dave

Ian C

jbmilart said:
I've finally finished the 4 Tuskegee Airmen patches... and another patch of the 587th Bombardment Squadron, 9th AAF, (B-26). I hope I can figure this photo posting process out... I'll try to put them in order... 99th, 100th, 301st, and the 302nd... 587th last... Jim

002.jpg

What is the patch on your avatar? I really rate that one.

Ian

jbmilart

Ian... That patch is from the 47th Bombardment Squadron, 41st Bomb Group... 7th Army Air Force... MTO Theater... Flew B-25s... There is a 41st Bomb Group Assoiation with a complete unit history... Check it out!... Yeah... I kinda like that one too!

Jim

EMBLEMHUNTER

CryptoDave said:
EMBLEMHUNTER said:

johnny

Johnny,

I have a picture, actually a cartoon of the squadron mascott that my father in law drew up for the unit that he flew with in WWII. My question is, how do I have this made into a patch?

Thanks,
Hey Dave all you have to do is send me a color scan for me to see if it's do able , and I can make you a leather patch , drop me a e mail at
[email protected]
and we'll go from there , I make any 5-6 inch patch for $50.00 total/each.
Johnny

Dave