• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New "old" zipper in my Aces High Irvin

flyboy

Just got this first snapshot from Jon of my new "old" lightning zipper.
Looking good, I think.
Can't wait to get my jacket back now, the temperatures are dropping along with the first leaves. It's finally Irvin season again!!!!
:D :D :D

Andrew

I was wondering how Jon was going. Even though its the off season it'd be nice to see what he's up to. I have a NOS dot zip that I've been saving and one day hope to do the same thing.

Smithy

Looks great Soren!

Whilst the weather is getting colder your way, sadly this means it's getting warmer down here. Bugger!

jonnyboy

Hi guys,

The Lightning zip is a repro. It's very accurate, with the correct art deco stopper box. I wish I'd had these from the start, but the stopper box took ages to get right!

I've been very busy this summer (mostly with other work, but I've made several jackets and have a few orders that I'm working on at the moment). It's been a slow, but steady start. Making jackets is definitely the hardest thing I've ever done (but great fun)!

It was nice working on Søren's jacket again - it's breaking in nicely and has developed some lovely grain on the outer finish of the sheepskin. Here are a few snaps:

Cheers,

Jon

Jason

Fantastic work Jon, from what I can see, your repro Lightning looks the business. I'm positive the time you've put in to getting the detail right will translate to some very happy customers.

flyboy

Jason said:
Fantastic work Jon, from what I can see, your repro Lightning looks the business. I'm positive the time you've put in to getting the detail right will translate to some very happy customers.
I AM a very happy customer!!! :D

flyboy

As promised some better pictures of the details.
Jon has done a terrific job - not only by the re-make of this original Lightning zipper, but also with installing it in my beloved Irvin.
I have also include a couple of pictures of the development of the creases and look of the jacket after one year of heavy use and mistreatment. ;)

Andrew

That's a fab looking recreation of a lightning. So what was the history, cMon tell us more pls? What was the original zipper like and when/where did this one arise from? Have you personally had these reproduced Jon or have you found a supplier making them? Does this also possibly mean that a DOT might also be possible and in brass?

flyboy

Just some pics shot two days ago. Finally it's the Irvin time of year again!!! :D

After one year of use, I think my Irvin has developed some nice textures, wrinkles and is settling in quite nicely.

Smithy

It really doesn't get any better when it comes to Irvin repros Søren! With just a bit more wearing and beating up you'll be seriously hard pressed to tell that from an original I reckon.