• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New MA-1, and Blue Anchor Coverall L-2B

USMC_GAU-21

Got some new nylon over the holidays, some eBay, some local auctions.

This first one is a heavy MA-1, no tag, but I think it is a third production MA-1, MIL-J-8279B by Dobbs Industries, it has a very nice Conmar zipper, and the leather pulls look very much like the Dobbs. But, with no tag I am not sure. heavy wool lining and good knits, and it matches the Dobbs USAF "sage" color vice the John Ownbey MA-1.

4301127737_9a7bc5c913_b.jpg

4301130921_89f8751c22_b.jpg

The next one is another MA-1 1969 version MIL-J-8279D, from "Sportmasters", again very heavy wool pile. Collar needs help, but overall very good condition. I really like the stitching down the wind flap. The 3 lines looks nice.

4301132445_38a3db9226_b.jpg

Now with the "Sportmasters" I noticed they had sewn the tag on the reverse side of the green wool pocket, unlike everyone else who sew it on the inside of the pocket so you can see it right away when you open the pocket.

4301134167_ed08999a8a_b.jpg

4301883036_55d9045889_b.jpg

oose

Hi,

Great jackets all three, love the early L-2b, one of these pre 60's jackets is defiantly on my wish list for this year.

stu

Peter Graham

Good luck in restoring the L-2B. It looks pretty good bar the zipper. Have you sourced the right coloured thread ?

USMC_GAU-21

Peter and All,

thanks for the nice comments. Yes I have the right threads. I have 3 spools of military thread I got in Hong Kong in 1995 when we pulled in there for a port call. I was looking for fabric for my wife and I found these NOS USGI spools!! guy wanted 20 USD for all three, one O.D., one USAF Sage, one International Orange.

Got a zipper from MASH thanks to you guys on the forum! And I have a veyr nice lady here at the base that does my repairs.

I will post a pic when she is done. I am also taking in a L-2A, and a MA-1 from Lion into her to do all at once.

r/Gy Dan

greyhound52

That L-2B is one of my favs. I have owned several Blue Anchor and currently have a near mint one. I think a large might be a bit small on you if you take XL in the MA-1. But stlll a great jacket.

Willy McCoy

Nice jackets! Blue Anchor is a great one, but the Sportsmaster is Super nice & rare (to me). I think the Sportsmaster is the type Steve McQueen wore. I sure wish I had one, my favorite orange lined MA-1!!

Weasel_Loader

I had a Sportsmasters MA-1 in XL but for some reason was sized more like a smaller Large. Suspect it was shrunk in a dryer. They are very desirable. ;)

watchmanjimg

Willy McCoy said:
I think the Sportsmaster is the type Steve McQueen wore.

At first I thought so too, but I believe McQueen's jacket was from a later Greenbrier contract. It's definitely an E-spec due to the pocket flaps. Nice jacket, though.

USMC_GAU-21

Thanks Dean!

Did you see those ball caps in the B-58 post! As well as the B-36! Really cool! Especially the color shots.

r/Gy

deand

USMC_GAU-21 said:
Thanks Dean!

Did you see those ball caps in the B-58 post! As well as the B-36! Really cool! Especially the color shots.

r/Gy

I did, and I wonder why none of them ever turns up on ebay. I keep looking for one of them, or something similar enough to work as a "homemade repro".

dean

USMC_GAU-21

I now see why you like them, they are a very cool piece of '50s flight gear that goes un-noticed. They look like hunting hats converted over to Unit hats. WAY COOL. I love the yellow ones I saw.

r/DRH

Weasel_Loader

deand said:
I wonder why none of them ever turns up on ebay. I keep looking for one of them, or something similar enough to work as a "homemade repro".
dean

I often wonder the same thing. Or wonder why none of the Japanese repro companies don't copy them since they seem to copy even the smallest detail from just one photo example. :roll:

deand

I guess some of us will just have to take the initiative and produce them as best we can. For me, a piece of headgear is like the other half of a given jacket. They compliment, and complete each other. That's just me. It the reason I messed around with existing ballcaps, and will continue to.

dean