• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New GW A-1 acquisition

Dr H

I'm grateful to John Jeter (CBI) who recently offered me the opportunity to purchase his older Good Wear A-1 (the second that John Chapman produced, I believe). This is the older domestic capeskin that I particularly like - thick, very supple hide with variable grain; it resembles the texture of the A-1 in Suit Up very closely.

The jacket arrived today (ahead of time and with no customs charges) and is grand. This jacket is tagged a 46 (being formerly a test jacket sometime in 2008 I think), but might have seen some HWT in the past as the dimensions actually make it a 44. John had the arms trimmed during his ownership and, since we are of a similar build, the jacket fits me perfectly, even down to the arms.

John has previously posted images of the jacket (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11011&p=104480&hilit=shrike#p104480) which is now painted. I'm not normally one for painted/patched jackets really, but this looks very, very old with uneven paint and worn surface. John has done a grand job with the brush.

I'm planning to re-dye it to reduce the warmth of the russet and give it a slightly closer tone to the Suit Up example (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13030&hilit=suit+up).

Will post images in time.

CBI

Enjoy it Ian - its has gone to a new nice home!

I still have my Vermont Espresso GW A-1

J

stevetfire

Great looking A1 Ian...I really like John's patined art work ( USAAC across the shoulders certainly gives it the look imo) missing my elc A1 ( it was to big at 46) at the moment although it went to a good home on here ,....do you still have your elc 44 :D ;) ...just my size :D

Persimmon

Dr H said:
I'm grateful to John Jeter (CBI) who recently offered me the opportunity to purchase his older Good Wear A-1 (the second that John Chapman produced, I believe). This is the older domestic capeskin that I particularly like - thick, very supple hide with variable grain; it resembles the texture of the A-1 in Suit Up very closely.

John has previously posted images of the jacket (http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/vi ... ke#p104480) which is now painted. I'm not normally one for painted/patched jackets really, but this looks very, very old with uneven paint and worn surface. John has done a grand job with the brush.

I'm planning to re-dye it to reduce the warmth of the russet and give it a slightly closer tone to the Suit Up example (http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/vi ... it=suit+up).

Will post images in time.

Ian,
Glad it has arrived and you are pleased with it.

And no Invisible Man shots wearing Slippers either when you get round to it !!

KevG

Fantastic looking jacket Dr H :)

stevetfire said:
Great looking A1 Ian...I really like John's patined art work ( USAAC across the shoulders certainly gives it the look imo) missing my elc A1 ( it was to big at 46) at the moment although it went to a good home on here ,....do you still have your elc 44 :D ;) ...just my size :D

Steve, just to let you know I'm looking after it well and have been wearing it lots since the chill set in. When it gets colder I'll be also bringing out the GW A2 :)

stevetfire

KevG said:
Fantastic looking jacket Dr H :)

stevetfire said:

Steve, just to let you know I'm looking after it well and have been wearing it lots since the chill set in. When it gets colder I'll be also bringing out the GW A2 :)
:lol: :lol: nice one Kev

Dr H

stevetfire said:

Thanks Steve, wearing my ELC A-1 in the rain today. No plans to sell at the moment (as this is dressier than the GW, which is too heavily painted to wear to the office), but if I do change my mind I'll drop you a PM.
Cheers
Ian

stevetfire

Dr H said:
stevetfire said:

Thanks Steve, wearing my ELC A-1 in the rain today. No plans to sell at the moment (as this is dressier than the GW, which is too heavily painted to wear to the office), but if I do change my mind I'll drop you a PM.
Cheers
Ian
Cheers Ian very kind off you :) ..I had to ask :lol: ....Out of interest have you seen JC'S latest A1 of which I noticed he has updated his site's pics and sales info on the 24 th.....It looks great to my eye even tho very different from Eastmans Cape, ( of which I believe is not currently available) also with slightly larger pockets,.......

Dr H

No problem Steve, if I come across a used 44, I'll let you know.
I've posted elsewhere that I really like John's A-1 pattern, which has really evolved strongly over the years, but I'm not a fan of this cape (and I prefer slightly smaller pockets). JC's period images show the variation in pattern/pocket sizes.

ButteMT61

I've had a few PM's here and the hat place since posting the pics of the new hide a while back. Quite a few don't find the new hide as appealing as the last one(s). I'm not sure it has the "rough" look like the one I got from Allen. That hide is wacky with it's grain and scarring, etc. It adds a sort of wild appeal to it. The new one I can see looks a little too perfect - lacking any imperfections. I think someone(s) mentioned it also seemed to wear the finish quickly. Maybe that's good. I just wish I were flush so I could get my bloody A-2 finished. In the end, it's all personal taste on the hides. We know the final outcome will be splendid otherwise.

New A-1 pics on GW's site.

Looks awesome from here. The only gripe I have with mine is the jacket is large at the waist, and a new one tapered for my build would be better.

front_view2.jpg

johnwayne

Hi Ian
pleased to see you got your hands on a nice A1 - I know what you mean about painted jackets, they look great but wearing them out is not for everyone - I've always felt somehow concious wearing my patched A2 and may have something to do with those awful Avirex A2's from a few years back that were not un-common! Must say JC's new one is nice though!!
Personally I always hankered after a Navy version that Aero did some years ago in the yellowy buttercream colour but can't say ever I've seen one here or know if they existed for real in that colour?
Anyone know?
Cheers
Wayne

ButteMT61

There are pics of it - it was made. Not enough energy to hunt them down, but I agree, it's very cool looking.

fleet16b

Ian
The jacket looks really great
Still have the GW A1 that i got from your .
It is a great alternative to the A2 which is too warm in the hotter months.

Dr H

Thanks Cam, glad it's proving useful!
Had a productive evening, removed all the buttons and restitched them with more clearance from the leather. Then went on to re-finish the button holes with thicker thread and blanket stitch (the jacket was made before John had a button hole attachment) so I'm much happier with the result.