• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New find current issue A-2 from The Cockpit

Phantomfixer

There has been discussion on the quality of the new Cockpit issue A-2. I found one the other day in issued but never worn condition. It has a 07 contract date. I found it to be made very nice with a very heavy yet soft hide. The hide I suppose is goatskin, areas are very grainy, yet several areas are very very smooth. The color is a nice darl chocolate color unlike the civilian Cockpit version, which is almost black...I found a new daily wear jacket!

the collar and smooth hide..

Marv

the hide doesn't look like goat to me more like steer hide but the overall jacket looks ok, no throat latch though.

Phantomfixer

could be steer..throat hook is not really an issue..not a reproduction A-2. I started collecting these guys due to their availabilty in this area, they are a piece of USAF issue flight gear, and of course they are A-2s..

B-Man2

I love these jackets. The prices for them are very reasonable and they look good. The DSCP label on the inside of the jacket lets you know that this was an original military issued A2 rather than a civilian version. I think it hasn't dawned on people that these are the original A2's that people will be collecting in the next 20 years. Just like WWII A2's were all over the place and could have been purchased for $10.00 - 15.00 when I was a kid, these jackets can be had for very cheap prices and will eventually go up in value.
I have about 5 of them and take one with me every time I travel.

Phantomfixer

B-man...you nailed it...just like the MA-1 and B-15s...those old CWU's too...and I dig the old Saddlery and newer Cockpit contracts
John

zoomer

Cockpit also seems to be doing a more WW2 pattern, altho it is only available with patches.
8671665679_e9194558fe_z.jpg

B-Man2

jzist said:
B-man...you nailed it...just like the MA-1 and B-15s...those old CWU's too...and I dig the old Saddlery and newer Cockpit contracts
John

The Cockpit A2's made for the US Air Force are by far the better ones out there IMO. The leather is a little thicker than the Avirex A2's but when it breaks down from wear it grains up nicely and looks better than the Avirex's. What I can't understand is why someone would by a commercial version of the cockpit A2 for $400.00 +or _ dollars when you can find the original US Air Force issued ones with the Defense Supply Center Philadelphia (DSCP) labels for a third of the price. I understand that many of us like the original and repo's from WWII and I'm one of those people as well. However this is an opportunity to own originals from the Iraq and Afghanistan war period at prices that are very affordable for the average collectors.
Come to think of it I'd better close my pie hole at this point, as I'm probably driving up the prices of my future purchases. ;)

Phantomfixer

Zoomer,

The Cockpit at times has awesome horsehide jackets...their production line seems to fall short though. But I have seen limited run jackets at their store in NY, granted it has been a few years, that rocked.
B=man agreed about the current run of Cockpit issue A-2s. Better than the Saddlery, though I still like them as well, and much better than Branded.......this one could be steer. It was in unworn condition when I found it about a week ago. Since then it has been in two very heavy rain storms and worn to dry...starting to crease real nice...

Atticus

Been buying and wearing current issue A-2s for a long, long time now. I remember...used to...many folks here on VLJ wouldn't even admit that they were real A-2s. They just weren't Lost Worlds or Real McCoys or whatever...you know that goes. Actually, of the original re-issues, Branded Leather was clearly the best of the lot. Nice thick goat. High arm holes. Decco pocket flaps. Classic cut.

Oh yeah...pay no attention to the bumper sticker. Its an old photo...from another administration...long, long ago.

AF

Phantomfixer

Atticus,

Good to hear from you again! ever get that L2B relined???? Nice set o wheels and good fitting jacket..is it a Branded or Avirex?

When the AF first reissued these things, the BX sold the civilian label...young airmen were going out and buying them and wearing them...in uniform! I confess I was a young NCO on recruiting duty and wore one in my area...the commander knew it, was an old SR pilot...he told me "just dont let me see it..." those Army recuiters were pissed! anyway....

JZ

B-Man2

Atticus said:
jzist said:
..is it a Branded or Avirex?
That one is a '92 Orchard (Branded Leather). As I recall, I stuck the Weather Recon patch on it just for the photo.

AF
Which contract years of the Branded did you find were the best jackets produced? The ones with the best goatskin hides like the ones you described as being thicker and better quality hides?
I'm thinking about getting one and that's the reason I'm asking.

Regards
B-Man2

Atticus

B-Man2 said:
Atticus said:
jzist said:
..is it a Branded or Avirex?
That one is a '92 Orchard (Branded Leather). As I recall, I stuck the Weather Recon patch on it just for the photo.

AF
Which contract years of the Branded did you find were the best jackets produced? The ones with the best goatskin hides like the ones you described as being thicker and better quality hides?
I'm thinking about getting one and that's the reason I'm asking.

Regards
B-Man2
I'm not sure if Orchard had any other than the '92 contract. If they did, I've never handled a jacket from one. But all the issued '92s I've ever seen were excellent jackets. Here's the bad news, though. Branded Leather continues to this day to put 1992 vintage spec tags in their civilian A-2s. The tags are even complete with a '92 DLA number. Sadly, their civilian jackets are nowhere as good as the old issued ones. You sorta have to know what to look for to get a real, issued Orchard A-2. Most of what's on ebay are recent repros.

AF

Atticus

B-Man2 said:
Atticus
How can I tell the difference between the two ?
The leather of the originals is more seal colored and is clearly goatskin...and is typically quite grainy. I'm not sure what the civi ones are made of...it may be embossed cowhide. The linings of the originals are made of some kind of oxford cloth and are rich, brownish tan. Newer jackets have a slicker, rayon looking lining and the color is paler looking. The pocket flaps of the originals are large and nicely scallopped. The flaps on the newer jackets are VERY large and not as nicely cut.

In spite of government specs, the originals had an inside wallet pocket on the left side. Not sure if the civi jackets do or not.

I would be hesitant to buy an Orchard A-2 off the net unless the seller provided many hi-def photos...especially of the lining.

AF

fishmeok

Hello

Quick note on the cockpit issue A-2, there is a very good possibility it is made out of horsehide from Tasmin Leather Group at their Maine tannery. A lot of the hides they tan are for the USAF jackets. Those pics look a lot like what they sell.

Cheers
Mark

Phantomfixer

Mark,

The bugger of it is, the hide patterns are irregular. Will post pics some time, but the front left body panel seems nice and pebbly like goat but the opposite side panel is very wrinkly (after several rain storms), then a few panels are smooth. Even the pocket flaps have a different grain, yet the color is consistent over the entire jacket.....
John

B-Man2

jzist said:
Mark,

The bugger of it is, the hide patterns are irregular. Will post pics some time, but the front left body panel seems nice and pebbly like goat but the opposite side panel is very wrinkly (after several rain storms), then a few panels are smooth. Even the pocket flaps have a different grain, yet the color is consistent over the entire jacket.....
John

Actually when you think about that, it's the same way WWII A2"s were constructed, in that the contract companies used the hides that were available to them and tried to get as many jackets as possible out of each hide. They focused on production. We are more caught up in the matching hides, grain, color and consistency than the manufacturers were. And the people the jackets were issued to accepted what they were given and went to war. In 40 or 50 years from now collectors will be noticing those same imperfections in these jackets and having the same conversations.
We have talked about this subject a number of times when discussing WWII A2s and here's a present day example that relates to much of what we discussed.
B-Man2