• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New favourite Watch- Hamilton GG-W-113

Andrew

Just received this great Vietnam era Hamilton GG-W- 113. I only won it less than 24 hours ago and it’s already here, quite surreal really but for a change it was local. The seller was a Viet Vet but I don’t think it was his. At $83 a lot more affordable than an A-11 too.

As I understand the GG-W-113 was specifically a Pilots watch (??)

RIMG00022.jpg

RIMG00102.jpg

RIMG00152.jpg

RIMG0017.jpg

I love the look of the dial with it’s detail and font and it is a great size, here it is in comparison to my A-11. The A-11 is 29mm in diameter whilst this is 34mm.

RIMG0001.jpg

RIMG00132.jpg

RIMG00122.jpg

It came with a green webbing strap however I don’t think it’s original as the buckle is pressed lightweight what looks like shiny nickel, but it does have a webbing keeper. From what I’ve found it appears that it would originally have been fitted with a ¾” black webbing band with an dull black enamel finish on a oxidized brass buckle. I am a little concerned though in that ¾” equals 19mm approximately but the gap between the lugs looks more like 18mm.

Below is a part of the spec I think applies to the strap for this watch, taken from the MWR website.

Anyone aware if this would be correct and if so would this type of band be suitable?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044Y ... erbelts-20

MIL-S-46383B
16 September 1970
SUPERSEDING
MIL-S-46383A
1 June 1965 - -

MILITARY SPECIFICATION
STRAP, WRIST: INSTRUMENT

This Specification is mandatory for use by all Departments and Agencies of the Department of Defense.

1. SCOPE

1.1 Scope.- This specification covers the material and fabrication requirements of a woven nylon strap intended for the attachment of instruments such as watches, compasses, and depth gages to the wrist.

1.2 Classification.- Straps shall be furnished in the following types as specified.

Type I - Strap, Special Purpose: Non-Magnetic Buckle
Type II - Strap, General Purpose
Type III - Strap, General Purpose

2. APPLICABLE DOCUMENTS

2.1 The following documents, of the issue in effect on date of invitation for bids or request for proposals, form a part of this specification to the extent specified herein.

SPECIFICATIONS

Federal
PPP-B-636 - Box, Fiberboard
PPP-T-45 - Tape, Gummed, Paper, Reinforced
PPP-T-76 - Tape, Pressure-Sensitive Adhesive, Paper, Water Resistant (for Carton Sealing)
PPP-T-97 - Tape, Pressure-Sensitive, Adhesive, Filament Reinforced

Military
MIL-P-116 - Preservation, Methods of
MIL-M-19595 - Magnetic Effect Limits for Non-Magnetic Equipment Used in the Proximity of Magnetic Ordnance

STANDARDS

Federal
FED-STD-191 Textile Test Methods

Military
MIL-STD-105 - Sampling Procedures and Tables for Inspection by Attributes
MIL-STD-109 - Quality Assurance Terms and Definitions
MIL-STD-129 - Marking for Shipment and Storage

(Copies of specifications and standards required by suppliers in connection with specific procurement functions should be obtained from the procuring activity or as directed by the contracting officer.)

3. REQUIREMENTS

3.1 Preproduction sample. - Prior to production, a sample of the strap being procured shall be submitted to the contracting officer or his representative (see 6.2). The preproduction sample shall meet the requirements of this specification and shall be equal in all respects to production units which the contractor proposes to furnish under this specification. The sample shall be manufactured utilizing the same methods, equipment and procedures as production units. Approval of the preproduction sample does not relieve the contractor of responsibility for compliance with all applicable provisions of this specification.

3.2 General. - Straps shall be furnished complete with buckle assembly.

3.3 Materials. - All materials shall be of uniform quality and free from any defects which might impair the functioning of the strap. Material which is not specified by a definite material specification shall be of a composition and quality that will enable the strap to meet all applicable requirements of this specification.

3.3.1 Yarn. - The yarn used in manufacture of the webbing, from which the strap is fabricated, shall be continuous filament, bright, high tenacity nylon. It shall be a polyamide prepared from hexamethylene diamine and adipic acid, or its derivatives, and shall have a melting point of 482o +/-10o. The yarn shall be 210 denier, 34 filament.

3.3.2 Ply twist. - The filling yarn shall be 2 ply and shall have a minimum of 2-1/2 turns per inch. The warp yarn Shall be single ply and shall have a minimum of 2-1/2 turns per inch. The plied yarns shall be twisted together (plied) in one operation. The final ply or yarn, whether single or 2 ply, shall be twisted so as to have a minimum of 2-1/2 turns per inch of "S" twist when taken from the webbing.

3.4 Weave. - The webbing shall be composed of 2 ground warps, 1 ground warp weaving face and back, 1 ground warp weaving face to middle, 1 binder warp and 1 filling. The face and back warp shall weave plain with the picks that show on the face and back in the manner of plain tubular. The middle warp shall weave 2 up and 2 down with the face warp only. The binder warp shall weave 2 up and 2 down face to back in the manner of a double shot.

3.5 Webbing. - The nylon webbing for the Types I, II and III straps shall conform to the requirements detailed in Table I.
___
TABLE I
[Property] / TYPES I & III / TYPE TI
Width / 3/4 +/-1/32 / 5/8 +/-1/32
Thickness / .042 +/- .005 / .042 +/- .005
Weight (oz/yd) min. / .360 / .300
Warp ends, min. (total) / 416 / 342
- Ground, min. / 258 / 214
- Binder, min. / 54 / 44
- Face warp, min. / 104 / 84
Picks per inch / 66 / 66
Ply warp, min. / Singles / Singles
Ply binder, min. / Singles / Singles
Ply face warp, min. / Singles / Singles
Ply filling, min. / 2 / 2
Breaking strength, min. / 950 lbs / 800 lbs

3.5.1 Nonfibrous materials. - Residual sizing, finishing, or other nonfibrous materials shall not exceed 2 percent of the dry weight of the webbing.

3.5.2 Acidity. - The pH value of finished webbing shall be within the range of 5 to 9.

3.6 Color. - Unless otherwise specified (see 6.2) by the procuring activity, the color of the finished webbing shall be black. The dye or dyes used shall not cause sensitization or dermatitis.

3.6.1 Colorfastness. - As specified in FED-STD-191 the dyed webbing shall show colorfastness to light, after exposure for 20 standard fading hours, and laundering equal to or better than the standard shade sample. When no standard sample is available for colorfastness the dyed webbing shall have a colorfastness rating to light of good after exposure for 20 standard fading hours and good to laundering.

3.7 Fabrication.

3.7.1 Type I strap. - The Type I strap shall be fabricated i n accordance with Figure 1.

3.7.1.1 Buckle assembly. - The buckle shall be of a minimum size to accommodate the strap and shall have a tongue and pin of suitable size and shape. The buckle shall be made of brass which complies with the magnetic effect limits specified in MIL-M-19595 (see 6.1, 6.2 and 6.3.1). The buckle assembly shall have a durable nonreflecting surface and be free of burrs. The buckle shall be black oxide coated and painted with a dull black enamel finish.

stevetfire

Nice find and a Great looking watch, if only it could talk and tell you where it been,what it had done, I have a 1944 omega from a family member that served in the RAF,and I wonder the same thing.........well done to you cheers for the post great pics and info...

watchmanjimg

stevetfire said:
f only it could talk and tell you where it been, what it had done . . .

Unfortunately, if it could talk this watch would tell you that it was recently manufactured in some Asian workshop and fraudulently offered as genuine. Andrew, I'm sorry to rain on your parade but this is not an original GG-W-113. :(

better duck

watchmanjimg said:
stevetfire said:

Unfortunately, if it could talk this watch would tell you that it was recently manufactured in some Asian workshop and fraudulently offered as genuine. Andrew, I'm sorry to rain on your parade but this is not an original GG-W-113. :(

How so, the watch certainly looks vintage ....?

watchmanjimg

better duck said:
watchmanjimg said:
stevetfire said:

How so, the watch certainly looks vintage ....?

Looks can be deceiving, I'm afraid. Check out Google and the Military Watch Resource at http://www.broadarrow.net and you'll see what I mean.

Andrew

Thanks for that news Jim, i've recovered now and i'd much rather be aware than blissfully ignorant. I see what you mean, it doesn't hack so it's probably auto, has Hamilton on the face and the back probably screws off although i'll have a watchmaker check that.

I'll probably send it back to the old Vet seller- I wonder if he's a fake as well :lol: The real thing appears to fetch a lot more anyway.