• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New ELC "Time Worn" A2s

Roughwear

Yes it is Warhorse hide. The indoor photos don't do the time worn effect justice. I am particularly fond of my 50 Cal. The steer hide has extensive graining and has been a regular wearer all summer. BTW I only own three repro A2s now, the 1401, 50 Cal and the GW Doniger.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Roughwear said:
The jacket has been gently burnished with "wear" on the higher areas.

It is a nice jacket, and a great colour, but I don't get it either.

Why pay an extra £50, when it looks just like one of Bevan's jackets the next day?

What's next? Quality new shoes £200, and also available slightly worn £220.

Which would you buy?

Roughwear

deeb7 said:
Roughwear said:
The jacket has been gently burnished with "wear" on the higher areas.

It is a nice jacket, and a great colour, but I don't get it either.

Why pay an extra £50, when it looks just like one of Bevan's jackets the next day?

What's next? Quality new shoes £200, and also available slightly worn £220.

Which would you buy?

I agree with you about the extra £50. The 50 Cal which has been given the same treatment is somewhat cheaper.

CBI

Roughwear - thanks for the info. I was about to order 2 new ELC A-2's. Perhaps I will wait a bit and investigate the "worn" options.

Curahee

Roughwear said:
Yes it is Warhorse hide. The indoor photos don't do the time worn effect justice. I am particularly fond of my 50 Cal. The steer hide has extensive graining and has been a regular wearer all summer. BTW I only own three repro A2s now, the 1401, 50 Cal and the GW Doniger.

I know you posted some pics 6 weeks ago but could you post a few more of you wearing it ? And how is the fit of the .50 CAL, is it like an original Aero 21996 ? thanks

Chandler

TankBuster said:
It may be the steerhide is easier to accomplish
that look vs the horse?

Oh man -- treading on thin ice there friend! ;)

If that were the case, doesn't it stand to reason that some period A-2s were made from steer to "accomplish that look?" Or is it just that much of today's horsehide is so much different than yesterday's?

Chandler

chicken

I agree with many of you here. It's kind of like buying pre-distressed jeans. Kind of tacky.

Although every once in a while, they take the distressing techniques to really high levels. But I still prefer to experience the aging in more natural ways. Or inherit them.

CBI

if the ageing/wear is well done, Im OK with it. In fact, I enjoy trying to age a jacket and making it look real. Although I understand the extra time needed by ELC to do this worn look, I think having it cost more is not really a good idea. Paying more for "wear" is just too odd from a potential customer perspective. Maybe just charge a little more for the jackets in general. I do think ELC's worn items look pretty convincing and I am gld they are moving towards this as an option.