• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Eastman Time Worn HH Cable A2

767fo

I just recieved the jacket in a size 44 this week. Eastman did a very nice job with the time worn. I am most likely going to sell the jacket. I had a credit with them and thought this would sell the quickest. It is a very nice jacket but i am happy with my Goodwear's. I have some pics if someone would like to post them just let me know and I will send them to you.

Persimmon

Not having a Cable A2, I wonder why almost every posting I see about Cable's are so wonderfully positive.
What makes them so special ?

Roughwear

767fo said:
I just recieved the jacket in a size 44 this week. Eastman did a very nice job with the time worn. I am most likely going to sell the jacket. I had a credit with them and thought this would sell the quickest. It is a very nice jacket but i am happy with my Goodwear's. I have some pics if someone would like to post them just let me know and I will send them to you.

Here are the pictures, which I was asked to post here.

CableT.jpg

CableT7.jpg

CableT6.jpg

CableT15.jpg

CableT5.jpg

CableT11.jpg

CableT14.jpg

CableT13.jpg

Cablet1.jpg

CableT16.jpg

CableT12.jpg

CableT2.jpg

CableT3.jpg

CableT8.jpg

CableT10.jpg

Roughwear

Persimmon said:
Not having a Cable A2, I wonder why almost every posting I see about Cable's are so wonderfully positive.
What makes them so special ?

Its hard to explain, but I'll try. I like the Cable design because its roomy body means it's comfortable to wear and at the same time stylish. The russet hh and the Kwik zip appeal to me. The rectangular stitching on the epaulets contrasts with most A2 designs.

Roughwear

Mac said:
Looks even nicer with a bit of wear.

Mac

Agreed, but I prefer natural wear to artifical wear, especially as ELC's Time worn treatment does not accurately replicate the wear patterns found on most originals. The sanding of the pockets has been over done IMO. You rarely get significant wear where the collar is attached to the shell of the jacket as on this one because it's an area that is hidden from daily wear unless the collar is permanently pulled up.

Persimmon

Andrew do you know what ELC's Time Worn Treatment consists of ?
I mean what does the man they farm it out to do to get the appearance of wear etc

Roughwear

Alan, I used to a own a RW 1401p which had had the treatment. I asked Gary how it had been achieved but he was not entirely forth-coming. Trade secrets perhaps. However the patches of wear appear to have been created by sanding. I'm not sure the extra money makes it worth buying a TW jacket. Afterall a new jacket when issued was like a new non-TW Eastman or Goodwear. :)

Persimmon

Andrew I thought you might have known.
Fountain of info and all that.
Trade secrets indeed -damn
I know they farm it out to this guy rather than do it inhouse and the reason the Time Worn prices went up recently was that they realised when they (ELC) collected the jackets the bill was more than they were charging the customer.
Still I would like to know what the gentleman does what he does.

Roughwear

I imagined it was done by an ELC employee. Whoever he is he must use something abrasive like fine sand paper to rub down the finish to the bare leather in many places. I have tried doing this to an old repro and you have to be careful not to damage the thread. I suspect he must also use another tool to add creases to the leather, rather than the hot water treatment.

marc philips

Hi Gents,

I just ordered a cable HH. What is your opinion concerning the fit of the collar? is this collar no gooing too high in the back?

thx

Mark

Marv

I must admit, after looking at the pics I am starting to like the Cable more and more.....however, I have just one question which keeps popping up when I see the newer ELC jackets and that is, have ELC started to use a thinner horsehide than in previous years.
The reason I ask is, I recently purchased and ELC PH A2 last November and although it's SH the hide is thinner than my ELC Star which I bought around 2007.
After looking at the pics of the Cable, the HH looks very similar in thickness to my PH A2 especially after the time worn process so not sure whether this is just because it's ELC's Warhouse hide or they have just gone with a thinner HH or my Star is just has a thicker HH at use at that time.

Roughwear

Marv the hh used on the Cable is very similar in thickness to that used on their 33 Werber. It is a little thinner than the very smooth, dark hh used to construct the Star a few years ago.

Marv

thanks for the update Andrew, how are you liking your Cable now you have had it a for a few days...great review by the way, I must say I am very tempted.
Probably make it down to Duxford for one of the shows at some point this season so hopefully get to try one on at the ELC tent.

Roughwear

Marv I'm really enjoying my Cable. It might get the hot water treatment at some stage soon as I'm not a great fan of the new jacket look. ELC are only doing two Duxford airshows this year, Flying Legends and the Spitfire show in early September.

Marv

yeh, I did notice the ELC show dates it's now just a case of convincing the wife that either Flying Legends or the BoB show would be better that the spring and autumn shows but she will of course say "for who"......so will see how much arm twisting I can do in the meantime. :D

A

Anonymous

Of course, if Eastman were doing the hot water treatment, it requires some early wearing whilst wet / damp. That would mean that the 'one man' would have to be able to change his body size to suit every jacket !! :) So, he would have to be a very small guy who would wear a series of ELC RAF sweaters to make himself the required sizes OR Eastman has to ensure he has at least one male employee for each size of jacket he makes.

Maybe that's why the process is so expensive ? :lol: :lol:

Dave