• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Eastman m-422a photo extravaganza

m444uk

I've been thinking of getting either a Kelso or Eastman G&F for a while. I went to the Eastman dealer in Brick Lane: London Son Of A stag. They are normally a bit more expensive than the ELC website for A2s but the G-1's and M-422a are currently marked down a bit at £599.

I've got a Kelso leather sample but decided the colour of materials used on the Eastman was closer to an original I used to own. The aniline finish is not homogeneous and changes colour depending on the light falling on it. The mouton is good. I really like the leather.

The jacket is not an exact copy of an original G&F pattern. The back belt is wider, however I prefer this more generic style. The original I had wasn't as comfortable across the back even though the dimensions overall are the same.

The photos bellow were taken after being worn once. No flash.

Size 44: Shoulder 20" Chest 24" Arm 26" Back 26 1/2"

mindful

That m 422a looks great im a big fan of eastman leather jackets and still rate them over Gw,the goat and the color looks really nice and son of a stag is a good shop for there denim

A

Anonymous

In all honesty and fairness congratulate you for your choice. The leather of this jacket looks excellent, admittedly SUPERIOR to the current BK goatskin leather and I really like the color.

The above recognition comes with a promise that BK, under my supervision, will soon upgrade their goatskin. The quest for higher levels of accuracy continues and I will exercise due diligence to ensure maximum jacket accuracy and VLJ member satisfaction.

siddhartha

Administrator
Ages ago, I owned an Eastman 55J14 repro. The leather was great, and I loved the jacket, unfortunately I was a bit overweight at the time, and sold it on.

I wonder where it is now. I'd probably buy it back!

Chris

Marv

siddhartha said:
Ages ago, I owned an Eastman 55J14 repro. The leather was great, and I loved the jacket, unfortunately I was a bit overweight at the time, and sold it on.

I wonder where it is now. I'd probably buy it back!

Chris

sorry to hijack the thread but here is a quick review of my ELC G1-55J14 repro which is probably about 8-10 years old I would guess...it's a great jacket, I was going to sell it on when I got my BK M422a last year but couldn't bring myself to do it.

See what you think.....

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12807

airfrogusmc

PLATON said:
In all honesty and fairness congratulate you for your choice. The leather of this jacket looks excellent, admittedly SUPERIOR to the current BK goatskin leather and I really like the color.

The above recognition comes with a promise that BK, under my supervision, will soon upgrade their goatskin. The quest for higher levels of accuracy continues and I will exercise due diligence to ensure maximum jacket accuracy and VLJ member satisfaction.

Platon don't sell your goat short. I own one of your W&G M422 and I love it. I had one of Eastman's G&F labeled M422a's. The gap at the shoulder seam and the bi swing is really wide especially when compared to most originals and looks still to be. My lining wore out in about 6 months and the leather on mine at the time was very heavy.

A

Anonymous

Sure, the BK has its merits, we had some customers who bought 2 and 3 jackets because they liked it (and stlll do) better than other vendor offerings. I must say that time has shown that the BK goatskin was a little more stiff than it should (because it stayed in the tanning drums less time than it should to become softer). Of course it will become softer by wearing but this will take time. People who recognize the quality of manufacture and want a tough jacket don't mind a little stiff.
Presently, I like the ELC color better, but although the color is nice, I can see from here that the finish is wrong.
At BK we are working to improve the products and all these things are taken into consideration. Most importantly, the competition offerings are monitored and analyzed so that in the end we can offer something better. We can't stop progress.

airfrogusmc

PLATON said:
Sure, the BK has its merits, we had some customers who bought 2 and 3 jackets because they liked it (and stlll do) better than other vendor offerings. I must say that time has shown that the BK goatskin was a little more stiff than it should (because it stayed in the tanning drums less time than it should to become softer). Of course it will become softer by wearing but this will take time. People who recognize the quality of manufacture and want a tough jacket don't mind a little stiff.
Presently, I like the ELC color better, but although the color is nice, I can see from here that the finish is wrong.
At BK we are working to improve the products and all these things are taken into consideration. Most importantly, the competition offerings are monitored and analyzed so that in the end we can offer something better. We can't stop progress.

I can tell you first hand your leather started out stiff on my BK but got very soft over time. The weight of the BK is more in line with most originals to. My G&F 422a had a base that was a bit to red. Jake had a RMNZ 422a that I thought both weight of leather cut and details were more accurate compared to most originals. The color was more of a chocolate IIRC to. Also the Eastman 422a had a G-1 type back not narrow like most 422a should be. I don't know if they straightened it out but they should have fixed the shoulder seam gap to if they did. And I hated the mouton on my Eastman.

PaulGT3

I love the M422 its my favorite. The reason I like it the best is because
of the lining color. I have a goodwear 422 with a wine-ish red lining.

Officer Dibley

mindful said:
That m 422a looks great im a big fan of eastman leather jackets and still rate them over Gw,the goat and the color looks really nice and son of a stag is a good shop for there denim

I can't tell GW and Eastman goatskin jackets apart TBH. I have a 'seal' GW goat A-2 that is IDENTICAL to an Eastman I had for years until a couple of years back. Varying tones of the leather are identical. Knits the same etc, etc.

For the G-1 / M422a's I think you are right that ELC still do the better version but each ups their game and we as collectors are the winners and should be grateful to both.

For variety of A-2's, GW wins but quality seems to be equal. Both ELC & GW's jackets have improved massively over the last few years.

The advantage for ELC is a much quicker delivery time. 6 weeks Vs 52+ ........ And one which is not affected by illness/holidays/ family time etc of a one-man band. That must place a bigger strain on JC.

Roughwear

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure after you browse all posts here you will be able to tell GW and ELC goatskin jackets apart.

Officer Dibley

Thank you for the welcome :) I was on here back in 2002 or 3 - it was a long time ago. Nice to see the forum still going strong - although i think a LOT of stuff seems to have disappeared, which is a shame. So sad too to learn of David's passing last year. One of the nicest and most helpful guys on the planet. We exchanged far more by PM than openly (on clothing in general) and that he knew SO much but wore that knowledge humbly and lightly, was a refreshing change too. He was a true anorak without being the least nerdy or anorakie.

I have 2 repro jackets I'm happy with and don't have any intention of getting any more. One Good Wear and one ELC (and they are identical to me BTW :) ) And I don't think i am the type to need to know every nuance of every jacket contract - that way lies madness and poverty ;) A slight change in the collar or pocket or a zipper type does not make or break an A-2 for me personally. The general look and fit is sufficient.

As I work for the USAF and usually wear my A-2's on base, I am well used to active duty aircrew asking me about my jackets as mine look so much sharper than their issue A-2's :D Shame theirs are only for posing on base and not allowed flight status any more.

Cheers again for the welcome .

Marv

Officer Dibley said:
Thank you for the welcome :) I was on here back in 2002 or 3 - it was a long time ago. Nice to see the forum still going strong - although i think a LOT of stuff seems to have disappeared, which is a shame. So sad too to learn of David's passing last year. One of the nicest and most helpful guys on the planet. We exchanged far more by PM than openly (on clothing in general) and that he knew SO much but wore that knowledge humbly and lightly, was a refreshing change too. He was a true anorak without being the least nerdy or anorakie.

I have 2 repro jackets I'm happy with and don't have any intention of getting any more. One Good Wear and one ELC (and they are identical to me BTW :) ) And I don't think i am the type to need to know every nuance of every jacket contract - that way lies madness and poverty ;) A slight change in the collar or pocket or a zipper type does not make or break an A-2 for me personally. The general look and fit is sufficient.

As I work for the USAF and usually wear my A-2's on base, I am well used to active duty aircrew asking me about my jackets as mine look so much sharper than their issue A-2's :D Shame theirs are only for posing on base and not allowed flight status any more.

Cheers again for the welcome .

Welcome back and probably a lot of new faces since you were last here (including myself 'ish) :)

Officer Dibley

Thanks Marv, certainly a lot of new names but some i suspect changed their names when the old forum went west.

Still looks a friendly place though ! :)