• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New carp from eBay

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
donsom said:
Buying to sell smacks of a "middleman", a no value-add low form of life,... although seemingly necessary in our world.

Gosh !! ..... I had no idea we were so despised. :lol:

jacketimp

i don't see how i can buy original militaria direct from manufacterers ..........even sources like vets/militaria shows are drying up......

i doubt if any of my jkt-mates have made a killing of 200-300%.........

.....most of their repros when old have taken a hit :( on resale as middlemen.

still i have nothing vs the luckeee ones :D

jacketimp

srivats said:
I don't think buying to resell is negative ... caveat emptor has always been the rule. Intelligent buyers pay what they think is worth for the item of sale, irrespective of what the item is actually worth - which is hard to decide since people's perception of value are pretty different even on a forum like ours.

welcome on board!

donsom

jacketimp said:
deeb7 said:
donsom said:
Buying to sell smacks of a "middleman", a no value-add low form of life,... although seemingly necessary in our world.

Gosh !! ..... I had no idea we were so despised. :lol:

indeed we're on the hit/hate list :eek:
I suppose the "no value-add" would be my criteria.
Some examples where middlemen would be some value-add:
- A store/shop where you could try on the product
- knowledgeable staff or individuals (such as in this forum) which includes a wide spectrum of both knowledge and experience
- individuals having contacts to source products
- owners/users who have directly used the product(s)

donsom

jacketimp said:
non consesus ad idum..................

Absolutely .... no "buying direct from the manufacturer" in the case of memorabilia.

I'll go out on on limb here and say..., that next time you (or anyone) are going to purchase a product (whenever and whatever it may be) where you know the initial cost(s) and there is an evident markup .... that you "might" (just might) catch yourself muttering ... damn middlemen! .. ;) :D ... even if you do purchase it because you really want it.

I've heard that phrase uttered by everyone from regular folks to corporate CEO's in my time ... :)

Unless, of course, ... you're the one getting the deal ...

Best of luck in your endeavours. People here (in this forum) a definitely "value-add" to me.

jacketimp

donsom said:
jacketimp said:
non consesus ad idum..................

Absolutely .... no "buying direct from the manufacturer" in the case of memorabilia.

I'll go out on on limb here and say..., that next time you (or anyone) are going to purchase a product (whenever and whatever it may be) where you know the initial cost(s) and there is an evident markup .... that you "might" (just might) catch yourself muttering ... damn middlemen! .. ;) :D ... even if you do purchase it because you really want it.

I've heard that phrase uttered by everyone from regular folks to corporate CEO's in my time ... :)

Unless, of course, ... you're the one getting the deal ...

Best of luck in your endeavours. People here (in this forum) a definitely "value-add" to me.

yeah, sometimes you gottta have an item and pay over the odds........ouch....i remember donsom :)

asiamiles

donsom said:
Unless you're buying from the person who actually made the item themselves, someone like John Chapman, surely there will always be a 'middleman' of some kind.

donsom

asiamiles said:
Unless you're buying from the person who actually made the item themselves, someone like John Chapman, surely there will always be a 'middleman' of some kind.
Asiamiles,

What about if I'm buying a jacket that you currently own and use, and you want to sell to fund another one (like say, on this forum) ... :) = I deal directly with you ... I know something about you because of your postings ... appreciate what input you may have provided in the past = I feel better about the purchase because of it.

But you're correct in saying on a large number of things ... there will always be a middleman.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:

Of course there will, and in a free market they wouldn't be able to exist if they weren't a necessity. The alternatives are just silly.

And in my experience, manufacturers, and other suppliers, will often discourage retail sales .... or charge the retail price on single items as they find it's so much trouble.

a2 fng

Baron Kurtz said:
Interesting. Whatever the reason for the rule, that's fine by me. Ebay is a business like any other: They're not in it for the good of the sellers, and for damn sure not for the good of the customers. Militaria dealers, to use an obvious example, are only looking out for themselves and their pocketbooks, too. Where's the difference?

I just don't see why anyone needs to know who won an item, other than the seller and the winner. Maybe i'm just being dumber than normal?

Fr those who want to know who won: Why do you need to know? What difference does it make to you? I'm not implying it's wrong for you to want to know, but i'm interested in the impulse behind needing to know. (if you can get through the Rumsfeldian quagmire of the last sentence, i'd be pleased to listen)

bk

It sucks big time and is now a shillers paradise.

Now you have no idea if the seller is using bogus ids to bid on his/hers own item to bump up the price-at least before you could do some detective work now this new system is total balls :evil: :evil:

Its not so much knowing who won the item but who you are bidding against thats the problem.

asiamiles

It sucks big time and is now a shillers paradise.

Now you have no idea if the seller is using bogus ids to bid on his/hers own item to bump up the price-at least before you could do some detective work now this new system is total balls :evil: :evil:

Yes, eBay has completely changed its concerns. It now seems anything that drives up the final price (and means more money to them) is okay. I wonder though how much their changes are losing them, and the economic situation is definitely going to hurt them big time as most of the buying is of disposables rather than essentials.