• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New carp from eBay

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
What's this new crap ....... ???

Now the winner of the auction remains hidden, even when the item has finished.

You could be bidding against your mother ... or the seller's mother, you'd never know.

I thought that justice had to be seen to be done.

HHjackets

i don't see the point of it, you can find out who the winner is when they leave feedback since that is not hidden ... yet!

Baron Kurtz

The point is so that no-one looks at the bidders list and thinks "oh, my mates are bidding, so i won't". In the past i have certainy held off bidding on old suits because i saw someone i knew was bidding.

They hope this will lead to higher prices, and so higher fees.

bk

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Baron Kurtz said:
The point is so that no-one looks at the bidders list and thinks "oh, my mates are bidding, so i won't".

The bidders have been hidden for some time, Baron ... to stop the 'off eBay' offers.

I'm complaining about the new policy of continuing to conceal the winners ID, even after the auction has finished.

Here ....

Making Winning Bidder IDs Anonymous
Early last year, we began to anonymize bidder IDs on listings. This change was designed to protect bidders from fake Second Chance Offers and other malicious emails. As I’ve shared before, this initiative has been very successful, resulting in a 90% reduction in this type of fraud.

Today, however, the winning bidder’s ID is currently visible to everyone after the listing ends, and this continues to lead to fake checkout offers and other spam. Consequently, it also leads to unpaid items, as winning bidders who fall victim to these fake emails often send payment to someone other than the seller.

Based on the positive results we’ve seen by anonymizing bidder User IDs, as well as our commitment to protecting all bidders from becoming targets for fraudsters, we’ve decided to extend anonymized User IDs to winning bidders, as well. This change will be implemented sometime this week.

asiamiles

Baron Kurtz said:
The point is so that no-one looks at the bidders list and thinks "oh, my mates are bidding, so i won't".

No, the point is to stop people who might have the same item to sell contacting bidders and offering to sell to them directly, thus cutting out eBay fees. None of this has anything to do with protecting bidder, it's all about eBay wanting to make more money.

jacketimp

how about this: ever wanted the same item/jacket as your mates bidding on????

now's your chance..........no guilt/blame since you don't know who else is bidding.........

ignorance can be bliss....................blessed are the ignonoramus.......

Baron Kurtz

Interesting. Whatever the reason for the rule, that's fine by me. Ebay is a business like any other: They're not in it for the good of the sellers, and for damn sure not for the good of the customers. Militaria dealers, to use an obvious example, are only looking out for themselves and their pocketbooks, too. Where's the difference?

I just don't see why anyone needs to know who won an item, other than the seller and the winner. Maybe i'm just being dumber than normal?

Fr those who want to know who won: Why do you need to know? What difference does it make to you? I'm not implying it's wrong for you to want to know, but i'm interested in the impulse behind needing to know. (if you can get through the Rumsfeldian quagmire of the last sentence, i'd be pleased to listen)

bk

srivats

Baron Kurtz said:
Fr those who want to know who won: Why do you need to know? What difference does it make to you? I'm not implying it's wrong for you to want to know, but i'm interested in the impulse behind needing to know. (if you can get through the Rumsfeldian quagmire of the last sentence, i'd be pleased to listen)

Curiosity ... and to check if the buyer is buying to resell (if so, at what price) ...or if he offers it elsewhere, it would be good to know the history just in case the buyer (who is selling now) is not being 100% honest.

Atleast for me these would be the reasons.

jacketimp

srivats said:
Baron Kurtz said:

Curiosity ... and to check if the buyer is buying to resell (if so, at what price) ...or if he offers it elsewhere, it would be good to know the histry just in case the buyer (who is selling now) is not being 10% honest.

Atleast for me these would be the reasons.

how about two ebay ids.......one to buy one to resell.........or seller waits for the 90 (?) days to transpire and you can't check the items since the details are deleted.......

not that it makes any difference since ebay id of seller is with-held post auction.......

Baron Kurtz

Is buying to sell a negative trait?

I've done so with suits and hats, though i try not to scalp on my mark-up. And for saleables i never pay more than $25 or so on insanely badly listed, and only large (they command a higher price), items. And i try to "place" the suits/jackets etc. I find with people i know will appreciate them (identified through FedoraLounge) and give them what going by market prices would be a good deal, and a healthy profit for me.

Is there bad blood in the collecting community re: the current very high prices commanded by WWII leather gear? I know that when the prices of even the shabbiest 1930s suits rocketed recently, there was some bad blood in that particular collector community, and certainly there is amongst the fedora collectors right now. But suit prices have dropped back, and fedoras are doing so. Maybe there's hope for leather prices yet?

bk

donsom

jacketimp said:
Baron Kurtz said:
Is buying to sell a negative trait?

bk

no, it's not a neg trait......if you make some bucks on the sale so much the better.......

I'm kinda on the fence on that one ... I believe higher price should equal high quality ... and that a fair deal is the best kind of deal. I believe in buying to own and use ... and selling when you're done using it. If the price at sale (due to inflation or market value rising during ownership) is better than what you paid, then so be it. Buying to sell smacks of a "middleman", a no value-add low form of life,... although seemingly necessary in our world.

Middlemen drive up the price (similar to real-estate, markets, etc.) until reason prevails and the price falls. Of course, there is always inflation to consider as well.

People buying, then turning around and almost immediately selling at two to three times the price is what makes me want to buy DIRECT from the manufacturer. These individuals have no intention of using the product, just making a buck on resale. Again, no value-add to the product itself except to drive up the cost for a profit.

That all being said ... it would be hard to turn down a good deal ... and it feels good to know you've used the product, and got some money back on the sale.

jacketimp

People buying, then turning around and almost immediately selling at two to three times the price is what makes me want to buy DIRECT from the manufacturer. These individuals have no intention of using the product, just making a buck on resale. Again, no value-add to the product itself except to drive up the cost for a profit.

That all being said ... it would be hard to turn down a good deal ... and it feels good to know you've used the product, and got some money back on the sale.[/quote]

wow, i didn't realise the margin can be that high!

asiamiles

donsom said:
Buying to sell smacks of a "middleman", a no value-add low form of life,... although seemingly necessary in our world.

But this is what practically every shop in the world does, buys goods to sell at a higher price, so I don't see why there should be any problem with someone buying and the selling for profit. That said, I almost always only buy jackets that I think will fit me, that are at the very least potential keepers, which means size 38 or 40 rather than more profitable large jackets.

srivats

I don't think buying to resell is negative ... caveat emptor has always been the rule. Intelligent buyers pay what they think is worth for the item of sale, irrespective of what the item is actually worth - which is hard to decide since people's perception of value are pretty different even on a forum like ours.

donsom

A great discussion. Perceived value by purchaser, markup, profit, shops being middlemen, etc. .. all valid points. Everyone is different in their personalities, views, tastes, opinions and perceptions.

Many people have got great deals in this forum and on eBay. In fact, some people's incomes are subsidised by eBay transactions, and it's a great international marketplace to sell on.

Personally, I know I'll never get rich buying and immediately re-selling on eBay. I'll leave it to the others there that do it, ... but I will watch out for them (some are quite evident) and not buy from them (if I can at all avoid it) while I'm at it... :)

Baron Kurtz

For example, if i buy a large-sized 1930s suit for approx 50 GBP. That suit is clearly worth much more than that, so i sell it for 125 GBP. Ths is much lower than the seller can expect to pay on an eBay auction, and wayyyyy much lower than they can ever hope to get in a vintage shop. But it represents 2.5 X profit for me.

Personally i don't see a problem with the above example as the person I sold it to would never have come close to seeing it had i not bought it; the price was a great deal vis a vis market prices; profit was handsome (a finders fee, perhaps); and i know he's going to use it and appreciate it. Doing it this way essentially funds the purchases i make for myself to collect and wear. I always worry when i see a great item not selling on eBay that it's going to go into the skip. Or if it ges for a low price that it's going to someone who's going to trash it. Or, when hallowe'en comes around some damn student is going to buy an incredibly rare vintage piece and rip it apart for a costume. I like to save vintage pieces from these fates.

bk