• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New arrival: Goodwear Star Sportswear A-2 in seal HH

watchmanjimg

Here are a few quick shots of my latest arrival: a Goodwear Star Sportswear A-2 in JC's new seal brown Japanese horsehide. Next week I'm expecting the rest of my order, namely a Dubow 27798 in the dull russet pigment-dyed HH. JC is also shortening the sleeves of my Few Bronco, which exhibited a bit more tunneling than I'd prefer.

GWStar004.jpg
GWStar005.jpg
GWStar006.jpg

Like the Few Bronco, this jacket is tagged a size 46 but as many of you know I generally wear a 42. However, I couldn't be happier with the fit given the inherent limitations of the A-2 design. The square shoulders and generous upper back panel give me the freedom of movement I require, while the body is far from blousy despite the larger indicated size. Although this particular jacket was an unexpected purchase, I can definitely state that JC's work is worth waiting for. His service is top notch as well. I wasn't even aware of this jacket's existence until Wednesday, and two days later it's on my back!

greyhound52

Jim,
Way too big for you I think you need to sell it to me at a deeply discounted price :D Seriously looks great on you. I think you really have the A2 bug now.

Maverickson

Pretty cool Jim, it looks as though you have a welcome addition to a burgeoning A-2 collection!

Cheers, Dave

better duck

Looking good!
Fit looks a lot like my brand new GW Roughwear 27752 in the new seal HH, in size 46. I normally wear a size 46, and this one fits just like a 46. Strange how sizing works: mysterious ways .... :cool: :?
I'll make a new thread about my newest addition, so as not to steal Jim's thread, as soon as I have some decent photos of me in my new jacket. I'll have to get the girls to work today! :)

watchmanjimg

Thanks to Peter and all those who replied! I'll post measurements a bit later, but the length on this one is excellent and offers adequate coverage even with modern low-waisted trousers.

Andrew

Jim, I take it that this is straight out of the box, no treatment? Looks sensational and a jacket for life. If you get time it'd be good to see some more shots perhaps a little clearer?

edit: re-read your post. So this one's second hand, but would you have any idea what's been done to it?

watchmanjimg

Andrew said:
Jim, I take it that this is straight out of the box, no treatment? Looks sensational and a jacket for life. If you get time it'd be good to see some more shots perhaps a little clearer?

edit: re-read your post. So this one's second hand, but would you have any idea what's been done to it?

Thanks for your comments, Andrew. I suppose this jacket can be called "second hand" but only under a fairly strict definition. As I understand it JC made this one as a representative sample and wore it once for a couple hours, in rain if I remember correctly. It is otherwise new. Forgive my clumsiness with the camera, but here are a few more pics that show off the magnificent grain of the Japanese HH:

MiscPics22810008.jpg
MiscPics22810005.jpg
MiscPics22810007.jpg

I also took measurements of the jacket a few minutes ago and must admit I was shocked at the results. Pit to pit is 23 inches both front and back, shoulder to cuff 24.25, length 25.75, and shoulders . . . only 18.75! With this modest figure I couldn't imagine how the jacket could feel so roomy, especially when my 16160 is snug with 19" shoulders and the same 23" pit-to-pit width as the Star. The answer came to me when I measured across the back panel where the outer sleeve seams meet the armholes. The Star is a full inch wider, and this coupled with the squarer shoulder profile makes all the difference.

greyhound52

JIm,
HH is real nice. Still think it is too big on you and you need to sell to me. :D Enjoy it if you can in FLA. Still enjoying the first edition CWU-45 I got from you it is great. I was wearing the Skyline MA-1 I got from you the other night. I will be in Tampa in April if you have a chance to get together. You can get a look at the GW Japanese HH Doniger I have which is amazing.

watchmanjimg

I wouldn't miss it for the world, George! Be sure to keep me posted on your itinerary as we got short-changed last time.

Believe it or not it's been cool enough for jackets down here this winter. If only I'd gotten the Star sooner I could have worn it regularly for the past couple of months.

hillcpa

Watchman, great looking jacket and the fit is spot on. What is the front length (I assume the length you gave is the back)?

Also, if you don't mind, what is your chest, waist and weight? It looks as if you may be similar in size to me--I'm trying to get a feel for my correct size in a GW.

Thanks!

watchmanjimg

Thanks to Cliff and HillCPA for the kind words.

HillCPA, the length down the windflap is 22.75 inches. I'm 5'7" and 170 with a 42" chest and 31-32" waist. I can tell you that JC is very good about sizing jackets to suit the wearer's build, so when your order comes up be sure to discuss your needs with him and he'll take care of you.