• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Aero A-2: 42-18775-P (Fit question)

Adam81

Hey,

[Note - I cross-posted this on Fedora Lounge, too]. My new Aero A-2 arrived this week! I scored a major deal, picking up one of their 42-18775-P "Quartermasters Issue Model," which was on sale of sorts. It's in seal brown HH with rust-colored knits, which is exactly the combination I had my eyes on.

I think the jacket is great :D, but trying it on I am not sure about the fit - wanted to get some 2nd opinions. I know A-2s can be a little short in terms of length, and I know this topic has come up in previous threads. So, based on these photos, does the jacket fit right? Would an Aero in 42 be better for someone with a long torso? I think the arms and chest fit well, it's just the length that has me wondering...

009 by flightjacket, on Flickr

008 by flightjacket, on Flickr

006 by flightjacket, on Flickr

005 by flightjacket, on Flickr

Persimmon

Its hard to be sure with the shirt hanging out.
Not my favourite look with a A2 - see pictures/posts in the past when some ribbing of Bute.

With the A2 designed to be worn with a slightly higher waist trouser, jeans again dont always give the best effect with there slightly low rise waistband etc

Possibly a little short for some tastes but I prefer the war time crop effect on my jackets.
Would like to see the shirt tucked in to give a more accurate though

I think the back looks good as it is but a touch to short on the front I think

Dr H

As I posted on FL, 1-2" short IMO, but difficult when you're going 'Scott'...

derleicaman

I agree with 1-2" too short. The sleeves also seem a bit short and will become more so with break-in. Too bad, as it is a beautiful jacket. In my own experience, the Aero A-2 I had was also a bit short in the body length. Bought used off ebay, so I sold it on.

Jeff M

Bottom line....if you like the fit (look and comfort), it's fine.
If not, you won't be wearing the jacket much...if at all.

Looks on the short side to me...mainly the body.
I can see the short body length working back when airmen wore the trousers up high above the belly button.
These days pants (especially jeans) tend to be worn lower.
When ordering an A2 from Aero, I've learned you probably need to go a size up....even if you contact Aero with your measurements and they recommend your "normal jacket size".
This is as much for the length of the jacket as the body fit.

I'd ordered several "civilian" jackets from Aero before I got their Aero 42-15142-P A2. They had my measurements...I went over them again with the A2.
The jacket was about as short waisted as yours and shorter armed, tight across the chest and shoulders to the point where I could barely fit in wearing a long sleeve shirt.
Sent it back..they re-did it...better fit.
I take a size 44....had to do a double take on the tag to make sure they hadn't sent me a snug size 42
Had this discussion with others who have had the same experience with their A2's.

A

Anonymous

bseal said:
Fits perfect. Go Aero!
thCAGN1P8J.jpg

Robman

Really can't totally judge the fit with the style jeans you are wearing. Try wearing it with a pair of khakis and the shirt tucked in.

CBI

fit's fine to a bit too small. It would be great to try the next size up. I know shipping back and forth adds up though $$$$$$$$$$$ Kinda defeats the purpose of getting one of these cheaper models!

Jaguar46

Robman said:
Really can't totally judge the fit with the style jeans you are wearing. Try wearing it with a pair of khakis and the shirt tucked in.

I agree, please repost with shirt tucked in, for a more informed opinion.

Persimmon

Jaguar46 said:
Robman said:

The OP has added new pictures on Fedora, shirt tucked in, if you check that thread

Jeff M

Persimmon said:
Jaguar46 said:
Robman said:

The OP has added new pictures on Fedora, shirt tucked in, if you check that thread

Link to the page with the new photos, at the bottom of the page;

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthre ... 75-P/page3

The length looks reasonable there. Just depends how you like to wear an A2.

Robman

Again, try it with chinos. The majority of jeans today if you look at their fit descriptions will say fits "slightly" below the waist.

Many of my A2s that look great with jeans on look way too long with chinos.

Roughwear

You see all sorts of fit sizes in Wartime A2s and with high waisted trousers this jacket would be ok, but if it were my jacket I would go up by one size so it could be worn with modern trousers.

A

Anonymous

I think fit is fine,
it's just the way the shot is taken. The camera seem to be lower than the object.

Aeros were a bit shorter than other jackets.

It's really amazing how ridiculously long were the epaulets in the older Aero Scotland jackets. Proof that they weren't using original patterns.

Phantomfixer

Based on the second series of pics from the FL, I'd say it fits perfect. Waist on the belt line, sleeves good...keeper...