• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New A-2s

watchmanjimg

I recently acquired these repro A-2s and thought I'd share a few quick scans. Enjoy!

GW in russet HH, size 44. Based on Aero 16160:
JacketsEtc023.jpg

ELC Star Sportswear, size 42:
JacketsEtc026.jpg

This one is my favorite. Few Bronco, size 46 but you all know how these run. Bevan for President!
JacketsEtc028.jpg

atkins

Watchman, would like to know your opinion on the GW hide , how heavy/ supple / shiny etc. It's look like the GW is the most comfortable fit too.

Best,
Atkins

wop54

I like them all and couldn't tell which one is the best! They fit you perfectly!!! You really must be doubtful when you have to choose one to wear for the day!

better duck

I just notice you have the collar buttoned down on all three of the pics. Do you normally wear them like that, or is that just for the photoshoot?
I prefer the more relaxed look of the spread out collar and apart from that, the collar buttoned down stands upright much more and touches and chafes my chin / neck all the time, so not very comfortable.
I'm curious as to your (and other members) preference on this, be it the look, of the way it wears.

wop54

better duck said:
I just notice you have the collar buttoned down on all three of the pics. Do you normally wear them like that, or is that just for the photoshoot?
I prefer the more relaxed look of the spread out collar and apart from that, the collar buttoned down stands upright much more and touches and chafes my chin / neck all the time, so not to comfortable.
I'm curious as to your (and other members) preference on this, be it the look, of the way it wears.
My ELC Star has got long and pointed collar which I prefer to keep buttoned down as they still are a bit stiff and therefore raised out too much when unbottoned IMO.

greyhound52

atkins said:
Watchman, would like to know your opinion on the GW hide , how heavy/ supple / shiny etc. It's look like the GW is the most comfortable fit too.

Best,
Atkins

Atkins,
Since this was my jacket it was lighter HH probably about 2-2.5 oz so not heavy. Has a shiny appearance but with wear that will come off. Just never wore it enough. Course now that I have that 38 Aero from the FEW the other jackets are in the closet. For now.

watchmanjimg

better duck said:
I prefer the more relaxed look of the spread out collar and apart from that, the collar buttoned down stands upright much more and touches and chafes my chin / neck all the time, so not very comfortable.

Peter:

I personally have a preference for the buttoned-down look, but especially after the collar has broken in as you can see in the picture of my Few jacket. I like when the leading edges turn away from the neck, like a button-down shirt collar when worn without a tie. Just my own opinion.

watchmanjimg

atkins said:

Best,
Atkins

Atkins:

Many thanks to you and everyone else who commented on the pictures. I believe George has answered your question about the GW hide, but in terms of fit the Few jacket is my favorite. The wide shoulders are nicely balanced by the trim sleeves, making this the most comfortable and least restrictive A-2 I've ever worn. Coupled with the magnificent hide, the fit of this jacket makes it #1! The GW is also very nice, but the back panel is a bit narrower which causes a bit of binding when the arms are extended.

fraazierjo

Peter,
Nice jackets - I've been spending about a week digging the original 1944 A2 I finnaly bought (from Andrew). It's incredible actually having and wearing this noble bit of WWII history. I"ve gotten a suitable patch and nametag to cover the o holes in the leather, Collars up or buttoned? _ I think I like them buttoned - more military?

Chandler

fraazierjo said:
I think I like them buttoned

You have to be careful with snaps of that vintage, especially if they're the small ball-stud type. Oxidation can make them fragile and connecting them will actually crush the male side of the snap (no analogies there).

Chandler

fraazierjo

Actually, the saps were already closed - since 1944 for all I know. Aside from adding the patch and name tag to cover the holes in the leather, I don't intend to change a thing. Beautiful jacet - I almost feel I shouldn't even wear it!

Roughwear

I'm glad it arrived and you are pleased with it. It's Aero's 1941 contract and was most likely made in 1942. Enjoy it. :)