• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need ID on these two insignia's

A

Anonymous

024.jpg
Thanks

A

Anonymous

zoomer said:
That right breast/left of pic design really looks like Dr. Seuss's work.
Agreed, it has that look about it. Another insignia I have seen before, I need to start keeping better records.

Chandler

zoomer said:

I was thinking the same about both of them. He was around and drawing back then.

EMBLEMHUNTER

The patch on the left is the emblem for the 312th Ferrying Squadron that was with the 27th Air Transport Group.
Johnny
Correct ID to the Bomb Sqd patch also.

A

Anonymous

Chandler said:
zoomer said:

I was thinking the same about both of them. He was around and drawing back then.
I think the bomb squadron was Disney, maybe.

zoomer

Bigger 312th Sq patch. This was a C-47 outfit, thus the Gooney Bird.
The most obvious Seuss touch is the eyelashes on the critter.
312thFS.jpg

unclegrumpy

Do any of you guys know if the 312th Ferrying Squadron patch can be attributed to Dr. Suess (Theodor Seuss Geisel)? I can see that it looks like his work, but I could not find anything that directly said so. Also, do you know of any other units he might have done designs for? Thanks!

EMBLEMHUNTER

Could be someone just "copied" his characters for the patch, but seeing how so many "cartoon" studios/artist got into the military patch designs I wouldn't be surprised if Suess also lent a hand too at this one .

unclegrumpy

EMBLEMHUNTER said:
Could be someone just "copied" his characters for the patch, but seeing how so many "cartoon" studios/artist got into the military patch designs I wouldn't be surprised if Suess also lent a hand too at this one .
Very possible, though Suess did not have a "studio". He was a political cartoonist before the war, but during was an Army Officer who did war training films and propaganda artwork. Also, his fame did not really come until after the war.

It would not be surprising to learn that Geisel was asked by someone he knew to do a patch for the friend's unit....or maybe several friends units. However, it would be neat to be able to confirm and uncover the details.

A

Anonymous

I don't know what books he might have published at that time, but it sure looks like his work.

unclegrumpy

chitchat said:
I don't know what books he might have published at that time, but it sure looks like his work.
I don't think he had done any books, just political cartoons and advertising artwork.

seuss-03.jpg

flit.jpg

Dr_Seuss_World_War_II_Political_Cartoon_11.gif