• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with translation for 76thFS patch

CBI_Historian

Hey guys,
I've often wondered what the translation for the phrase formed by the two characters at the top of the 76th Fighter Squadron 'arrowhead' insignia is. The literal translations (as far as I can tell) for the two characters are "arrow," and "sentry post." What I'd like to know is what the people who came up with that as their insignia 'meant' by that. In other words, what phrase, intent, motto or slogan were they communicating to us - in 'plain English.' Thanks in advance, George

P.S: I can supply a wartime photo of a 76th vet with the patch on his A-2 - but I can't figure out how to attach the image (?!!)

ghq1

Perhaps a starting point (I had to look it up anyway!):

76th Fighter Squadron
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Emblem
Description On a disc Gules, a jagged edged spearhead Sable point to base, chief Azure charged with the Chinese characters, “Vanguards” Argent, over a roaring bengal tiger’s head couped Proper, on a field bendy sinister of five Gules and Argent; all within a narrow Black border.
Attached above the disc, a White scroll edged with a narrow Black border and inscribed “VANGUARDS” in Black letters.
Attached below the disc, a White scroll edged with a narrow Black border and inscribed “76TH FIGHTER SQ” in Black letters.
ImageProxy.ashx

Symbolism Ultramarine blue and Air Force yellow are the Air Force colors. Blue alludes to the sky, the primary theater of Air Force operations. Yellow refers to the sun and the excellence required of Air Force personnel. The roaring tiger represents a warning to the enemies of the nation and the fierceness of resolve to defend it. The jagged spearhead represents the tools used to defend the way of life against enemies and the red, white, and blue signify the theater in which that resolve was first tested. The military strength the unit is ready to employ with precision and determination and the quest for peace are represented in the colors chosen for the disc and scroll background

CBI_Historian

Thanks very much - but I actually knew that historical part of the insignia itself. I'm really trying to find out the 'significance' of the slogan/motto/characters at the top of the patch. I've sent requests to a few Chinese Embassy types and hope to find out the meaning behind it all. I'll let everyone know what I find out. Thanks! George

colekwok

Don't bothered with the Chinese (PRC) embassy, they will not like the badge as it resembles Taiwan's flag.

Just by the individual characters, 前 哨 means "Front" and "Whistle".

The word 前哨 usually means outpost, sentry, sentinel. So you can take it as frontline, pioneer kind of meaning.

CBI_Historian

Thanks much guys!
For now I'll assume (at least until I hear otherwise) that a reasonable American meaning for the Chinese text at the top of the 76thFS 'arrowhead' insignia could be "Sentry at the Outpost" or "Guardian of the Gate" or "Watchmen on Alert", or something like that?? Makes sense as they were posted to the front lines of Chennault's "Vanguard" in China... George

colekwok

CBI_Historian said:
Thanks much guys!
For now I'll assume (at least until I hear otherwise) that a reasonable American meaning for the Chinese text at the top of the 76thFS 'arrowhead' insignia could be "Sentry at the Outpost" or "Guardian of the Gate" or "Watchmen on Alert", or something like that?? Makes sense as they were posted to the front lines of Chennault's "Vanguard" in China... George

Absolutely!