• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Help With My GW Roughwear 1401-p

wop54

Good Evening Gents,
below are a few pics of my GW in the new HH after a couple of months of intensive (daily) wearing (im still using it, following Zoomer's suggestion, with a heavier layer and scarf!).
Problem is that ive been driving with the jacket on and, as a result, it has developed ugly (to me) creasing on the back, with the hide that's suffering a bit (last pic). I realize that is what probably happened to the original A2s after long hours in the cockpit and a very minor issue, but wonder if there is a method to "flatter" those creasings, a part taking off the jacket when driving...
Sorry for the poor quality of the pics, I took them with my iphone, with the jacket laying on the hood of my car.
IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

Jaydee

You know that looks like the jacket bunched up and was leaned back against. I am really careful when I sit, Fly, or Drive in a flight jacket. I pull it from the bottom to flatten the back, and then lean back and strap in to guard against this type of creasing. It's more comfortable that way too. You could try to iron them out a bit with a warm iron over a paper bag. Be careful though.
I havent seen too many original A-2 with this type of creasing. The parachutes that some of the pilots wore probably kept the jacket firm and flat on their back.
Heres the back of a 1942 Aero I sold today on eBay:
P1000850-1.jpg

dadgad

it's related to leather and tanning typology methinks...my Aero is exactly as smooth as Jaydee's while both my GWs (Dubow and 27753) are creased (and cracked) the same way as yours...

atkins

Hola Carlo,

Just tell whoever notice the crease that's the effect of sitting on P-51's seat after long hour of mission. :D

wop54

Thanks Jaydee, im not sure ill find the guts to iron the jacket... One question: iron from the liner or the hide side?
Grazie Dagdad, actually i've been driving a lot with my ELC Star on and it had no creases... different hides i guess...
Thanks Atkins, nice suggestion :) but i really think that the only one that has noticed the creases its me....

dadgad

wop54 said:
Grazie Dagdad, actually i've been driving a lot with my ELC Star on and it had no creases... different hides i guess...

indeed...something to wonder about consider how many GWs are sold by customers lately.

wop54

dadgad said:
wop54 said:

indeed...something to wonder about consider how many GWs are sold by customers lately.
When I said different i just meant different, not better or worse. I like both the hides, actually im extremely happy with my GW, with its creases that, as i stated, are to me ugly but a minor issue.

Jaydee

wop54 said:
Thanks Jaydee, im not sure ill find the guts to iron the jacket... One question: iron from the liner or the hide side?
Thanks Atkins, nice suggestion :) but i really think that the only one that has noticed the creases its me....

Yep Minor. It's a beauty! You Iron it on the hide side, covering with a cut piece of paper (grocery bag) or cloth. Start on the low setting. Work your way warmer if needed.

greyhound52

I have the exact issue on my original Aero. I really like it and I like yours. Of course taste varies. Here are some pics of collars of a couple of RWs I have owned. First, is an original 18091 contract and the second is a RMNZ. First GS second HH.

collar-2.jpg

RMNZRWCOLLAR.jpg

better duck

Carlo, just my 2c contribution:
I'd say: leave it be: that's the way your jacket is developing, so that's the way it is. The originals were never babied. Imagine a flier off duty, between missions getting out the ironing board and heating the iron, laying his A2 flat on his mattrass and then, ever so gently, iron out the creases collected on yesterdays mission: I would think not!
Great advantage of the creases is, that, when you wear the jacket, they are out of your sight, and others won't care.
All of my jackets develop the same creases, btw, just sitting in a car does that to the jackets.

deand

Check out the creases in the back of this original from a recently posted thread, and you shouldn't feel too bad:

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

dean

wop54

Thanks everybody for suggestions, comments , tips and pics!
Here is what I will do with this creases situation:
1) will leave the creases as they are
2) will pull the jacket from the bottom to flatten the back whilst driving and take the jacket off after a while
3) will quit to examine too closely every single detail of my beloved jackets ;)
Thanks again, its nice to be a member of the VLJ forum :)