• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice on USAAF and RAF flight helmet, goggles, and oxygen mask.

Kermit3D

I am interested in purchasing these items. But I am not an expert... I would need your advice :
- Are all these items well original ?
- Do the items match well together (good historical period) ?
- Does the asking price seem right ?

There is little description on the ads but from what I can see it is :

- The first USAAF lot including a Type A-11 helmet, B-8 goggles (with box and screens), and a Type A-14 oxygen mask. The whole set is offered at 590 euros.

41473ee0b0bc443d9098089edbdaac861c5ad3d0.jpg
a768b171ddb9969bb07d82cfd7e8214e53d1a6e1.jpg

a820f6236a98f830e2956635dd1288d74078a35e.jpg

- The second lot RAF includes a Type C (1943 Pattern) flight helmet, Type MkVIII goggles, and a Type G oxygen mask (I have serious doubts about this mask and it seems incomplete). The whole set is offered at 480 euros.

e5589efe6b410f9c94d89caf68b76900cbf73407.jpg
a9824c797b5e31d81c70e26087a2f1db2dcf482b.jpg

97c98d33f5aa83308f284a4f9ec77b3826ed86be.jpg
8fc9b67296931ad4837bb034ff9cbbe1b0efe398.jpg

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated
Thanks for your help. :)

Dany McDonald

Bonjour Guillaume,

I can't help you, but I hope the advice given here by members is positive. I too am looking at oxy mask but this is out of league for now! The grouping is impressive, good luck!

Dany

Micawber

Prices of everything you are looking for are rising all the time.

Check the date of the A-14 mask and also condition of the rubber straps as they are known for cracking, perishing and eventually failing. Larger A-11's are sought after as are less common makers. A photo of the label would help you. Boxed B-8 goggles were plentiful not that many years ago.

C Type helmet, later type, a shot of the back would be useful. What size? Interior looks clean and not to have had a lot of use.
That's a H type mask.

Both good to have receivers, loom and plugs.

A few quick comments off the top of my head. The C Type seems the better deal bearing in mind my comments above.

Kermit3D

Prices of everything you are looking for are rising all the time.

Check the date of the A-14 mask and also condition of the rubber straps as they are known for cracking, perishing and eventually failing. Larger A-11's are sought after as are less common makers. A photo of the label would help you. Boxed B-8 goggles were plentiful not that many years ago.

C Type helmet, later type, a shot of the back would be useful. What size? Interior looks clean and not to have had a lot of use.
That's a H type mask.

Both good to have receivers, loom and plugs.

A few quick comments off the top of my head. The C Type seems the better deal bearing in mind my comments above.

Thank you very much Steve for this clarification. Indeed the RAF oxygen mask is a type H and it is incomplete.

Here is an additional picture of what seems to be the back of the RAF type C helmet

type-C_rear.jpg

jack31916

Agreed to what Micawber said except that I would say that the American set is the better deal. ;) I have owned sets like these but sold them long ago and prices have been going up ever since. The RAF helmets are prone to dry rot and this helmet looks at least very dry. It's a late C-type helmet and maybe even a post war one. The bigger sizes 3 and 4 are more desirable. The oxygen mask is a H-type and although these appeared late war, most of them are post war. There must be a date next to the nose microphone switch. The Mk VIII goggles are not in a very good shape and can be post war. I don't know if the wiring/looming is complete but at least this set is missing the oxygen hose with clamp and thes alone are over 150 GBP.

The American set looks like it is in a better shape although the rubber straps of the A-14 Oxygen mask show some cracks. A-14 masks are expensive nowadays. The B-8 goggles come with the box and spare lenses. Helmet looks to be in a nice condition and have the receivers + wiring.

Try to orientate yourself on Ebay or websites for actual prices.

PL: the picture of the back of the C-helmet is bad but shows the extra leather tabs of the late type. Also shown is the ruined elastic strap of the goggles.

Kermit3D

Thank you so much for all this information Jack, I am learning a lot.
I have sent a message to the seller for more information.

If I compare with the prices on this website, it seems like a pretty good deal. But maybe this website has very high prices :

Kermit3D

Was this type of equipment (USAAF and RAF) used specifically for fighter pilots or for bomber crews, or for both ?

jack31916

Thank you so much for all this information Jack, I am learning a lot.
I have sent a message to the seller for more information.

If I compare with the prices on this website, it seems like a pretty good deal. But maybe this website has very high prices :

They are all expensive....

Lebensgefahr

Walk away from the RAF set up, late/post war helmet in not very good condition and with torn leather by the comms plug, late/post war MK VIII goggles in poor condition and a post war H type mask. The mask isn't even the wartime pattern, it's the second pattern which was sixties/seventies (ish).

Kermit3D

Walk away from the RAF set up, late/post war helmet in not very good condition and with torn leather by the comms plug, late/post war MK VIII goggles in poor condition and a post war H type mask. The mask isn't even the wartime pattern, it's the second pattern which was sixties/seventies (ish).

Ok thanks a lot !
I think I'm going to leave out the RAF set.
I'll focus on the USAAF set ;)

Kermit3D

Here are a few more photos :

RAF C type helmet :

05b1ec98-c327-11ec-8591-37d442bd7daa.jpg

18e95bc1-c327-11ec-8741-55b8363cbb76.jpg

B-8 Goggles box :

4e9cea65-c327-11ec-a11e-f73c8391bc04.jpg

A-14 oxygen mask :

53f3ccd5-c327-11ec-9fce-5bcb0001806f.jpg

A-11 Helmet :

58eb9e23-c327-11ec-b372-dd48c4f5f064.jpg

5cce2fbd-c327-11ec-a3e8-437dcbdb1bfd.jpg

B-8 top.jpg

Last edited:

Kermit3D

The type A-11 helmet looks very clean and in good condition and as a bonus it is a "large" size.
The type A-14 oxygen mask is a little cracked... but it is complete.

I don't see any "Army Air Force" markings on the A-11 helmet like on this picture :

upr1nqfo.jpg

Is this a problem ?

Kermit3D

Wow... I just discovered Sefton's RAF helmet/masks reproductions !
It's amazing what he has to offer! As soon as possible I think I'll fall for a Type B Helmet + Type D Mask ! o_O

Kermit3D

Ever since I saw the movie "The Battle of Britain" when I was 8 or 9 years old, I have dreamed of having an RAF helmet/oxygen mask/goggles. The prices of the originals (the interesting models) are skyrocketing and I had definitely forgotten the idea. But now I'm getting my hopes up!

The main problem that will arise... is that I will need an Irvin jacket to complete the collection. :rolleyes:

Kermit3D

And like John Chapman, Steve Silburn seems to put all his passion in his products... just for that I want to order