• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Navy from Life

oose

Hi all,

Few for the Navy...
c8.jpg

c12.jpg

c15.jpg

c14.jpg

c11.jpg

c10.jpg

yours stu

Atticus

Thanks, Stu!! These and the nylon photos are some of the best I've seen on the forum in a long time!

AF

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
oose said:

• I'm eighteen with a bullet
    Got my finger on the trigger, I'm gonna pull it
    I'm picked to click now
    I'm a son-of-a-gun
    So hold it right there little girl, little girl
    We're gonna have big fun

zoomer

Obviously post-WW2 due to the extra stripe in the national insignia.

I assume a beard means one is in the Alaskan command, but some of these shots were obviously taken on carrier decks.

Google offers up exactly one hit for VAdm. Ralph Opstie (last pic), who was Deputy CNO for Air in 1953, when he also served on NACA. Here he is a RAdm., so this must be earlier.

zoomer

Ah. I thought Korea. Anybody ought to be able to search the LIFE archive and find the date on these.

The survival vest makes me wonder what sort of equipment was carried in it, besides the obvious dye markers, whistle, and bigass knife. What was the dark pipe-like thing? the small can-shaped thing? What went in the long vee-shaped pockets?

watchmanjimg

The dark pipe-shaped thing looks like the manual inflation tube, while the can-shaped thing near the right shoulder is a distress marker light. I believe the other pockets hold flares.

zoomer

Them things don't look likely to inflate! :?

What if your Ka-Bar poked a hole in the vest? It'd be down to Davy Jones for ya.
drowning.jpg

Chandler

zoomer said:
I assume a beard means one is in the Alaskan command,

Don't forget that the Navy used to (maybe still does?) allow beards on ship-board personnel. Sort of a sea-going tradition.

Chandler

A

Anonymous

US Navy got rid of beards in 1983. A sad day for Naval tradition due to political presure from the first lady if you can believe that. Scuttle butt was Betty Ford (drunk at the time) bitched that the US Navy band, as it marched by in DC during some official fuction, looked like "pirates" next to the clean cut USMC Band and the US Army band. Politics, killed a fine tradition...sad day for the US Navy.

Maverickson

oose said:
Hi all,

Few for the Navy...
c12.jpg

c15.jpg

c14.jpg

yours stu

I appreciate you finding and posting those Naval Aviation photographs Stu! I believe that these are all AD Skyraiders. Much like the ones seen below. This photo was taken by my father in 1954 of his wingman after flying one of those Skyraiders.

394534-R1-E015_015.jpg

Dave

oose

Hi Peter,
Got two young kids don't get to go out on a friday night anymore!! I'm men't to be working on websites but can't be arsed! :D I'd rather surf the web instead!

p.s.
Glad to see you are getting some good Nylon, nice score on the N-2B, mine came out the closet a few weeks ago!

yours stu

Peter Graham

oose said:
Glad to see you are getting some good Nylon, nice score on the N-2B, mine came out the closet a few weeks ago!
Wait till you see what I bought last night. I'll say nothing until it arrives in case it doesn't !