• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Naval Aviation Museum pics

A

Anonymous

Hello all -

I was able to visit the Naval Aviation Museum this last week. I took a bunch of photos and thought I would post some here over the next few days for fellow enthusiasts to enjoy! For all those who have been lucky enough to see these jackets before I hope you enjoy seeing them again and for those who have not I am happy to post them and if you can try and visit this incredible place!

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

I'll post more soon!

Best to all -

Bill K.

Hamsterbear

Why does he reference the term "G-1" to describe a WWII Navy leather flight jacket? And that's in print on a WWII display in a museum? Somebody needs a fact checker here.
-Brian :shock:

Jaydee

Hamsterbear said:
Why does he reference the term "G-1" to describe a WWII Navy leather flight jacket? And that's in print on a WWII display in a museum? Somebody needs a fact checker here.
-Brian :shock:
My guess is they used "G-1" because it is well known amongst the public. What they should have printed is: "Leather M-422a (Predecessor To The G-1 Jacket)"
-Jay

Maverickson

Bill,

Although I have never had the oportunity to visit the museum, I am looking forward to reviewing your collection of photographs of the various flight jackets you saw at the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola.

Ironically, just recently I have been in contact with the Naval Aviation Museum in reference to finding a match or simply identifying one of my father's patches from his flight jacket. They just informed me that they have no record of the patch I inquired about. This particular patch can be seen on my father's right sleeve of his flight jacket.

EnlargedG-11.jpg

When and if I find a duplicate of this unusual patch I plan on donating an original or a facsimile of this same patch to the museum.

Dave

A

Anonymous

Dave -

Sorry to hear that you couldn't get any help from the Museum - When did your father fly? What carrier or base? Suprising because the museum has several walls full of different patches, either squadrons or TF's from WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. On the other hand probably many more patches were made unofficially than could have possibly been accounted for, which is too bad because you would like to think that every squadron or group could have its history recorded and known.

I promise I'll post some more pics today, they will be some leather ones coming.

Best,
Bill K.

Maverickson

Bill,

The missing patch pretains to father's first squadron. He got his wings in 1955 and was immediately attached to attack squadron VA-55. They were better known as the Warhorses. During his three years with the squadron they flew two different aircraft. The first was the AD-4 Skyraider or as he called it "The Spad". Later they got an updated version or AD-6. Thereafter, the squadron transitioned to jets with the FJ-4 Fury.

In those years the squadron was attached to NAS Miramar. He also did two carrier deployments, the first aboard the USS Hancock flying Skyraiders and the final deployment abourd the USS Bennington flying the FJ-4 Fury. His time with the Warhorses can be chronicled in the website set up by the A-4 Association http://www.skyhawk.org/3e/va55/va55.htm.
By using both the squadron's information available through the website and contacting and taliking to the surviving squadron members has given me good insite as to the probable patch it would have been. None of the squadron members remember this particular patch. Notwithstanding, the only patch on dad's original jacket and shown on the website is the Hancock ATG-2 1957 cruise patch.

Unlike the Airforce, and until fairly recently the United States Navy allowed many different types of patches to be attached to an individual's jacket. In short, during my father's entire naval aviation career, within reason, there never were any rules or codes governing how or what they could display on these personalized jackets. Normally ,these older jackets did have patches attached that could include Carriers, Air Wings, Air Stations, Cruises, Squadron, and or the different types of aircraft flown by the individual during their aviation career. The vast amount of the different insignias worn by the aviation personnel in it's self compounds the ability for identification of those aviation related patches. In addition, I have found that many patches were conjured up at the squadron level and many of these patches would inevitably vary with each new tour. It is simply difficult to identify many of the older naval patches as they went undocumented from the beginning.

Dave

A

Anonymous

As promised, another great jacket from the Museum!

036.jpg

034.jpg

035.jpg

037.jpg

Enjoy! More to come!

Bill K.