• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

N3-B-Civvy???-Please Dont Laugh!!!!

a2 fng

Not sure if this is the correct place to post and please go easy on my,no laughing :D :D :D

I know nothing at all about N3-Bs but was after a retro winter jacket and this reminded me of the snorkel parka i had when i was a kid in the late 70s/early 80s.

Anyway,picked this up not as a 100% super duper replica but as stated as a warm retro winter jacket.

I guess you guys will puke when you see it but any ideas please when it was made etc and by who?

Many Thanks.

DSCF0001-103.jpg

DSCF0002-105.jpg

DSCF0003-115.jpg

DSCF0007-50.jpg

DSCF0019-2.jpg

DSCF0021-4.jpg

MikeyB-17

I'd be interested in seeing a reply from somebody who knows more about these, 'cos to me that looks military, with a 1972 contract date, but I know squat.

dadgad

In 1972 military N3-B should still have had wool interlining.
I would bet on Chinese provenance.

Atticus

It lacks a proper DSA number....so I doubt that it is military. Also, I'm not sure that N jackets ever had orange linings.

AF

capt71

Here are 3 pics of the real thing (official USAF issue)--sorry for the quality, but I just snapped 'em quick & dirty to put here. I acquired this N3B when I was in the USAF back in the late 60s and "appropriated" it for myself when I left the service.
You can see that the lining is fabric and the hood is "fur" lined. The fur around the hood is real wolf, which is no longer used--I can't tell if the fur on yours is real or not. Wolf fur was used because it would not frost up with ice from moisture or your breath in freezing weather. I never saw any with orange lining. If the one you have is a replica, they did a pretty good job IMO.
5068169364_b108c40346.jpg

5068172714_1ccf2cef06.jpg

5068177924_d837311e41.jpg

a2 fng

Thanks Guys.

As said it was bought only as a retro warm parka but if of course it does resemble an original then thats a bonus as well :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

watchmanjimg

It's not original but it appears to be made of high-grade components. If it was cheap, I'd say congrats on a good score!

Weasel_Loader

As kids, we had those civilian N-3Bs and they sure kept us warm when we stayed at our cabin in the mountains. I think many of the department stores sold them. Your's looks to be about the best reproduction of the military version that I've seen. Great knock-around jacket. ;)

a2 fng

As i have now bought a modern N-3B that fits me perfectly i am now reluctantly going to be putting this one up for sale as its slightly too small for me and never quite been happy with the fit which is a shame as i LOVE the jkt and reminds me of the good old days back in the 70s :( :( :(