• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

N-3B

Chandler

Sometimes I get sideways look, other times not-too-well muffled snickers, but when it's sub-zero out, as it is today, this coat is just what the war department ordered!

Let 'em snicker as they're shivering in their Kohl's specials!

Chandler

Swing

I was thinking the same thing this morning while wearing my B-2 with the ear flaps down, and my B-6 with the collar up and latched. It's six degrees out, and I may not look "cool", but at least I'm warm!

~Swing

mcqueen

Thank God I'm out West and it never gets "really cold." But, it's been storm-after-storm for two week and highs are in the mid 20s, so I can handle a sideways look or two while staying dry and comfortable in the N-3B (plus I'm a skeezy ol' dude, so gear like a vintage N-3B is expected).

n2bcollar.JPG

Peter Graham

Chandler said:
Sometimes I get sideways look, other times not-too-well muffled snickers, but when it's sun-zero out, as it is today, this coat is just what the war department ordered!

Let 'em snicker as they're shivering in their Kohl's specials!

Chandler
My N-2B is earning it's keep at the minute. Can you post some pics of your N-3B ? I'm considering buying one.

Chandler

Peter Graham said:
Can you post some pics of your N-3B ?

I'll see what I can do during the holidays, but It's nothing really special -- standard, later model in the sage green color. Got it off eBay a few years ago at a good price, always wanted an authentic one since I was a kid and they were the "in" item for high schoolers!

Chandler

tgd31968

I have to say that my B-3 is getting rave compliments with the temperatures in the single digits (F) here in northern Michigan.
It was -21 F the other morning, and has not cleared 15 F during the day for several days now.
My torso is warm, but my legs and head can't take it.

Terry

Weasel_Loader

I finally got my N-3B last year after a long search. I was trying to find a good pre D model as these almost always came with Crown zippers. I did find this really nice D model which were the last with the mic tabs. By the looks of the leather zipper pull, it was not used much after issue. The decal is perfect and the only thing wrong is the red fading that these often exhibit around the backside of the hood fur and along the zipper flap. The fur on my hood is of the boring type as I call it. Depending on where the fur came off the animal, some hood fur had really nice black highlights on the ends of the fur which I prefer.

I did get to wear my N-3B twice since I got it and they work like a charm for extremely cold days especially if the wind is blowing. ;)

N-3BTurner1-650.jpg

N-3BTurner2-600.jpg

N-3BTurner4-600.jpg

N-3BTurner5-650.jpg

N-3BTurner3-600.jpg

Chandler

Mine looks about the same, without the mic tab or the real animal fur.

MIL-P-6279J Greenbrier Industries, Inc. -- anyone know how to date these?

Interesting that the shell is 80% cotton and 20% nylon. I especially like the interior knit cuffs and the blanket material lining in the pockets -- the hood's pile lining is sweet in the wind chill too.

Chandler

Atticus

Here's the 1964 F model that Danny helped me find last year. Here in balmy North Carolina, I only get to wear it one or two days a year, but it feels damn good when I do.

wisconsin153-2.jpg

JackiesTesters029-1.jpg

AF

A

Anonymous

I've got a CWU 8/P which I really like to wear. The smaller hood if fine for the UK and doesn't make you look like you have a halo behind your head :lol: Or maybe it's just that all N-3B wearers really are BLESSED................ ;)

The real fur ruff ones are the dogs do-daas. Same with N-2's.

Dave

Chandler

watchmanjimg said:
Why not post a pic of the label? It might help in figuring out the date.

Looks like David has my coat! I'll check the label when I get home, only needed the pea-coat this morning... who knows what the evening might bring.

Chandler

Chandler

watchmanjimg said:
Are we correct in assuming this label indicates a 1985 contract date?

I believe so. I need to check mine, but David says above that all the "J" models are '80s vintage.

Chandler

watchmanjimg

The '80s vintage is pretty much a given, but I was curious if there's a reason we can't apply the same dating method to these garments as we do to everything else. Either way it's a very nice item you've got there. I haven't had the good fortune to stumble across any of this type lately, but I'll keep my eyes open in the future. Another interesting choice is the N-3B Modified, which uses the same cotton/nylon shell as yours but some examples are lined with inside-out camo fabric. Weird, but they're out there. :eek:

Chandler

watchmanjimg said:
The '80s vintage is pretty much a given, but I was curious if there's a reason we can't apply the same dating method to these garments as we do to everything else.

I think the military changes nomenclature procedures every 2 years... just to be confusing to everyone. It probably creates job security for some desk jockey too. ;)

Chandler

usafwso

It's a good looking jacket. In today's world I am not sure how useful an N-3b is if you have to get into a car and whatnot. An N-2B is even worse in a car with the seatbelt and such.

Here is my Southern Athletic model long with a pair of D-1B flight trusers and N-4B gloves.

sa001.jpg