• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

N-3B query, on the lookout.

Cobblers161

With the onslaught of what is without a doubt going to be a cold winter I'm looking for an N-3B for work (I stand outside for hours photographing buildings and cars).

I've seen a few 80's Lancer's and Greenbriers around are they any good? The fake fur is a little suspect but otherwise they look pretty good.

I've also seen a Skyline and Southern Athletic, both with real fur hoods on the 'bay. Any idea what kind of price I should be paying?

My knowledge of N-3B's is limited so please bear with me.

If anyone has one for sale I'm after a medium (I'm a 41"/42" chest), especially if you have a pre-D, F model or thereabouts in good nick.

Cheers and thanks,

Steve

MikeyB-17

Re: N-3B query, lookin' for a cheapie!

I can't claim to be an expert, but I did once own a '64 Southern Athletic N-3B. Warm all right, but it weighed a bloody ton-it didn't get a lot of wear. The big, notchy paperclip Conmar was a sod to fasten all the way up. This was mine:-

Edenjackets030.jpg

I think I paid about £60 if I recall-it wasn't in A-1 condition, but it was perfectly wearable. I'd be curious to know if the modern ones are lighter without the loss of any warmth. I liked the fact that mine had the coyote fur trim (probably not too PC these days) and mouton hood liner, but if I was looking for a practical, warm jacket, I wouldn't have another older N-3B.

Cobblers161

Cheers Mikey, nice looking jacket. But I think you hit a valid point, super warm jackets and excellent for aircrew at high altitude but not much cop for getting in and out of the car.

I get the impression the modern ones are lighter but that's just a guess.

Nice wall art btw! Can't beat a bit of Lichtenstein, especially if you used to read Commando's.

MikeyB-17

Which I did. I bought the Lichtenstein prints in Amsterdam in about 1983. They spent years in the loft, until I dug them out and put them up. Always meant to get them framed, but never got around to it.

Weasel_Loader

1972 was the last year of course for real coyote fur. You can get the white labeled N-3Bs is decent shape for slightly under $100 if your patient. The black labeled versions start to get pricey for a clean one. Models with the mic tab are always a favorite (D and earlier). The most expensive N-3Bs are the first versions with Crown zippers. I just sold my near mint X-Large D model with Conmar zippers for $300.

N-3BTurner1-650.jpg

Peter Graham

Cobblers161 said:
super warm jackets and excellent for aircrew at high altitude but not much cop for getting in and out of the car.
Steve, have you considered an N-2B ? Just as warm but shorter and a bit more practical. I paid 100 quid last year for a 62 Wisconcon, here's the post. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2916 What I should have been looking for was a 64 Alpha with Crown zippers.

asiamiles

MikeyB-17 said:
Which I did. I bought the Lichtenstein prints in Amsterdam in about 1983. They spent years in the loft, until I dug them out and put them up. Always meant to get them framed, but never got around to it.
I'm sure it was around that time that I made my one trip to Amsterdam. And there was a Lichtenstein exhibition on which I visited; I don't know if I still have the poster for it or if it went away with the girlfriend of the time.

asiamiles

Peter Graham said:
Steve, have you considered an N-2B ? Just as warm but shorter and a bit more practical. I paid 100 quid last year for a 62 Wisconcon, here's the post. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2916 What I should have been looking for was a 64 Alpha with Crown zippers.

How short are they? As short as MA-1's. That would be a problem for me, plus they wouldn't keep the legs warm. I actually saw one in a used clothing store yesterday, priced around $240; it was an Alpha and the zipper was a Scovill, but I was carrying a bag with a jacket I'd bought and ready for food so I didn't feel like trying it on.

N-3B's tend to be everywhere in Japan in winter, which is a bit off-putting (though with this winter's fashion item of choice being the fishtail parka maybe we won't see as many), while Buzz repro's sell for as much as their A-2's on the secondary market. I have cloth Avirex one (I don't know if it would have been issued) which I keep meaning to spruce up by getting some real fur to put on the hood...it's a bit dirty but it only cost me about $50 and it does the job, though I haven't worn it for the last 2 or 3 years.

Peter Graham

asiamiles said:
How short are they? As short as MA-1's. That would be a problem for me, plus they wouldn't keep the legs warm.
Not as short as MA-1's. A practical length. I'd say a bit longer than an A-2 it still won't keep your legs warm.

A

Anonymous

Steve,
Not sure if you found one or not but ........
a friend of mine has a surplus shop and just called me to see if I knew anyone who might be interested in 3 nylon jackets.

He has a nylon 64 dated MINT N3-b with real fur ruff. It's a small but he reckons it fits much bigger than small.

Might be worth giving him a call on 01603 665585. Steve at Hoopers Surplus.

good luck !

Dave

Cobblers161

Thanks for that Dave, sounds like a nice one.

Just in time for the cold snap too!

Much appreciated.

Best,
Steve