• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

N-2A question

blackrat2

I have been looking at the above jackets on and off and more so after this weekend.
There is a large amount selling minus the fur trimmed hood, is this a legitimate mod?, an effort to appease the use of fir?,or when theses ended up on the civilian market did folk do this?

MeachamLake

I have been looking at the above jackets on and off and more so after this weekend.
There is a large amount selling minus the fur trimmed hood, is this a legitimate mod?, an effort to appease the use of fir?,or when theses ended up on the civilian market did folk do this?

I just assumed that people just trashed the fur once it began to deteriorate.

I have long admired the N-2A but I have always found originals to be disappointing - they're cut incredibly short waisted yet very wide. Warm, but not a flattering look in the real world. One of the few jackets that benefits from a more modern 'updated' version. Alpha's version is okay for the cash.

Pilot

Will put my Monarch officially for sale as soon as I am back from my business trip.
122FC048-CFB7-4C4D-AAF7-52E4BB950673.jpeg
41671349-724F-4473-AE0A-09110EAC4BA4.jpeg

Pilot

Thanks for the reply, note to self check length
Sure, the listing ( will not list here anymore ... sorry) will have all dimensions.
For info, one ceramic floor plate has 33cmx33cm so it gives a bit of an idea.
The Monarch is the best made N-2A available, not to be compared with the Masland mass production ones floding greasdbay .

Last edited:

bn1966

The original trim is part of the appeal for me, contrasted against that dark blue nylon. KNOPF contract N-2A in XL sits in my collection. Lacking the trim would = a severe de-valuation in my book!

watchmanjimg

I just assumed that people just trashed the fur once it began to deteriorate.

I have long admired the N-2A but I have always found originals to be disappointing - they're cut incredibly short waisted yet very wide. Warm, but not a flattering look in the real world. One of the few jackets that benefits from a more modern 'updated' version. Alpha's version is okay for the cash.

I agree that these are a bit awkward looking but they're certainly functional. I saw plenty of them worn by aircrew at Griffiss AFB (NY) in the 1970s-80s, and they were still offered for sale at $50 each in the Fort Drum (NY) military clothing sales store in the late 1980s.

Pilot

I agree that these are a bit awkward looking but they're certainly functional. I saw plenty of them worn by aircrew at Griffiss AFB (NY) in the 1970s-80s, and they were still offered for sale at $50 each in the Fort Drum (NY) military clothing sales store in the late 1980s.
N-2A´s or N-2B´s ?
As far as I have seen on photos only N-2B´s ( or N-3B´s) after ca. 1960...No more blue versions worn.

Silver Surfer

alpha and a coupla other usa companies make them and though they are not "vintage", they stand up to the wear and tear of every day life. these new ones have the right details, are made well, and as expected toasty.. whats more, they are not as wide as the old ones, and they are longer, thus super practical. they can be found on greedbay for anywhere from $75 [used] to $175 new. i have a coupla alpha versions, and they are my go to slap it on go out the door cold weather jackets. btw, the zip down hood on these jackets is a winner.