• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

N-1 deck jacket

Jeff M

Dr H said:

That sounds interesting Peter. I recall some more modern experiments that were reported at sea in connection with the effects of galvanic corrosion on composites (on Sea Harriers, I think). When a composite component was placed in close proximity with an iron nail in a coke can (aluminium) filled with brine (salt water) galvanic corrosion took place - due to the difference in electrode potential/competition for electrons - leading to the breakdown of the polyimide polymer matrix (leading almost bare carbon fibres - a frightening thought on a marine composite aircraft). The polyimides are typically sensitive to hydrolysis/breakdown by alkali. I read that cellulose (the basis for the cotton) is sensitive to alkaline hydrolysis.

English translation?

Dr H

Jeff M said:
Dr H said:

That sounds interesting Peter. I recall some more modern experiments that were reported at sea in connection with the effects of galvanic corrosion on composites (on Sea Harriers, I think). When a composite component was placed in close proximity with an iron nail in a coke can (aluminium) filled with brine (salt water) galvanic corrosion took place - due to the difference in electrode potential/competition for electrons - leading to the breakdown of the polyimide polymer matrix (leading almost bare carbon fibres - a frightening thought on a marine composite aircraft). The polyimides are typically sensitive to hydrolysis/breakdown by alkali. I read that cellulose (the basis for the cotton) is sensitive to alkaline hydrolysis.

English translation?

Don't use your composite aeroplane near seawater as the metal bits might cause the plastic bits to degrade...
Check regularly before use.
Metal grommets/salty water seem to cause a similar breakdown in deck jacket cloth.
;)

Boyo

Real McCoy N-1

46AA0E23-AE02-47C5-829A-59BD130A7FA4_zpsdhurnsz9.jpg

It works as good as the original.

ausreenactor

Happy Hooligan said:
the wife just signed for a package from Japan… My N-1 BR is here!

Fingers crossed it is the perfect-est fit ever! I am ready to throw mine on eBay...

And need pics....

Happy Hooligan

it fits pretty nicely. Loose at XXL (44) but I think if I went to XL it might be too fitting. Who knows, I might wind up bidding on yours on ebay. My son loves it so much he wants one now. But it would need to be a medium I think. It's a very nicely made jacket. My first Buzz. I night need to get a watch cap to go with it now. Can't wait for it cool down around here. The Alpaca/wool blend isn't that bad on the itchy scale either. I'll get some pics soon.

ButteMT61

Repop N-1's are all from what I've seen in person and in pics cut wider in the torso. My Pike Bros is really nice, but does not fit me like Peter's original. I wish I could get one in my size that fits like that but I have not come across one.
It looks fine to me, but how does it feel?

Happy Hooligan

ButteMT61 said:
Repop N-1's are all from what I've seen in person and in pics cut wider in the torso. My Pike Bros is really nice, but does not fit me like Peter's original. I wish I could get one in my size that fits like that but I have not come across one.
It looks fine to me, but how does it feel?

the trouble with buying direct is you can't try it on. It feels fine. Easy to move my arms but I do think it's a tad big. I like to try the next smaller size on to be sure.

ciddu

Of course I don't know how it feels, but to me it looks that with a smaller size the sleeves would be a bit too short.

Happy Hooligan

it feels fine. but it's not form fitting at all. I do have the curse of long arms so at least the sleeves fit great. Debating ordering an XL from japan and selling the one that doesn't fit as well.

Happy Hooligan

I think I can do the XL with a 26" sleeve. Is that considered a 42 then? It's so weird that the size in in english but the measurements are in meter.

Happy Hooligan

well, I got the XL last night and have to say I'm glad I went smaller on it. The sleeves could be a tad longer for me, but the body fits snuggly and not loose. I'll have some fit pics up soon. Now please cool down in SoCal so I can wear it!

tahonng

I have a blue one I got maybe 2008 off ebay. A Buzz Rickson repro. I haven't gotten it dry cleaned or washed, as the zipper's discolored the fabric it lays against and I don't know that washing or dry cleaning would set the discoloration making it permanent. I'll see if I can take pics. Would love to know what you guys think I can do to clean it.

ausreenactor

Happy Hooligan said:
well, I got the XL last night and have to say I'm glad I went smaller on it. The sleeves could be a tad longer for me, but the body fits snuggly and not loose. I'll have some fit pics up soon. Now please cool down in SoCal so I can wear it!

Great to hear...

Rutger

tahonng said:
.... Would love to know what you guys think I can do to clean it.

After a bad experience I never will dry clean any jacket. My choice : luke warm water hand wash with woolite, short and lower revs centrifuge with jacket wrapped in towels. Hang outside in the wind to dry, turn inside out as well for a while.

Happy Hooligan

thanks I think I made the right choice. The sleeves are shorter on the XL than the XXL but I can live with it. I'm sure I'll notice it when I'm driving more than just standing around.

Did I mention how much I love this jacket?