• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

N£-B Modified

I've just picked up an N3-B modified, with the camo lining.
I was wondering how rare these were and whether they were used in a particular area ?

watchmanjimg

The N-3B Modified parkas are perhaps not as common as the standard N-3B but not super-rare either. They would have been used wherever it was cold enough to issue the N-3B. I don't know for sure, but I've speculated that there must have been an overrun on camo fabric slated for another application (probably helmet covers) which gave rise to its use as lining for the parkas. The camo lining appears to be inside out in every N-3B Mod I've seen, so perhaps the pattern was defective. In any case it's a curiosity that I wouldn't mind having in my collection.

watchmanjimg

I can understand why that would be your first thought, but isn't the actual lining fabric sewn into the parka inside-out, with the camo pattern on the reverse side? Also, the overall construction of the garment would make it very difficult to wear if one turned it inside-out.

I'd love to know the true story behind the N-3B Modified, but I keep thinking it must have to do with an excess of the camo fabric (or perhaps a shortage of the standard sage-green lining fabric). The only GI-issued item I've seen with that pattern is a helmet cover that was produced subsequent to the "Mitchell" pattern seen throughout the Vietnam period and thereafter. As I think about it, the early N-3B Mods didn't always have camo lining. Thus, it's possible that the Modified designation has more to do with the elimination of the nylon outer shell as the constant appears to be the use of nylon/cotton outer fabric.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
watchmanjimg said:
... Thus, it's possible that the Modified designation has more to do with the elimination of the nylon outer shell as the constant appears to be the use of nylon/cotton outer fabric.

Yes, I think that's the one ... there seemed to be a long change over period, with several contracts having both varieties.

I also read that the camo lining resulted from a policy of using common materials over a number of items, as an economy measure.

watchmanjimg

One thing that continues to perplex me is that the camo lining fabric was attached inside out. Does anyone have any concrete explanation for this? I agree with David regarding the cost-saving aspect, but it seems as if the fabric was somehow unfit for its intended purpose (which again I believe to be helmet covers). Otherwise there would be little sense in its being used in this rather odd fashion.

Tim P

Maybe, just maybe the rationale is that since that side was supposed to be worn nearest the body, that was the side that would face inwards. Its camouflage proerties, as a non-reversible garment, were redundant in any event.
Just a theory of course, any takers?

watchmanjimg

Not a bad theory at all, Tim. One could assume that body heat would need to pass outward as it would were the service member to have worn garments constructed of the lining material. In some fabrics, such as Gore-Tex I believe, this is critical for proper performance. However, I'm not sure whether the same applies to the original sage lining material.

THE LABEL PHOTO DIDN'T COME OUT TOO WELL , BUT IT READS :

JACKET FLYING MANS
TYPE N-3B MODIFIED
MIL J 6279H
SIZE MEDIUM
STOCK NO 841 15899-0380
DSA 100-72-C-0309
SKYLINE CLOTHING CORPORATION
INTERLINING 100% WOOL
DRY CLEAN ONLY

P1150431.jpg

P1150432.jpg

P1150435.jpg

Peter Graham

Nice jacket Johnny, and a good fit too. The fur looks to be real which is surprising for a 72 dated jacket. Perhaps the camo is reversed because the outside is water repellant and it would make more sense to have this on the outside. Jim, is that not too big a pattern for helmet covers ?