• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mysterious flight jacket/m-43 liner.

Jacketarian

Hi. Old member returns.
Just rediscovered a vintage piece. Labelled as "Jacket, field, pile O.M.S."
Blue rayon in B15* straight zip style. Fleecey pile lining, alpaca collar, heavy Conmar alloy zip, blue knits at wrist and waist. Label is white with red embroidered text. Has M-43 liner instructions and "manfd in O.M.S." Looking for any help on this. Is it a known item? What is it? Pics to follow.

Last edited:

Jacketarian

Hi. Old member returns.
Just rediscovered a vintage piece. Labelled as m-43 jacket liner. Blue rayon in B15 straight zip style. Fleecey pile lining, alpaca collar, heavy Conmar alloy zip, blue knits at wrist and waist. Label is white with red embroidered text. Has M-43 liner instructions and "manfd in O.M.S." Looking for any help on this. Is it a known item? What is it? Pics to follow.
Just to add. To all intents it is a flight jacket but I have never seen another example and am wondering if it is valuable, or collectable. It appears to be a genuine military piece, with late 40s, 50s construction and materials. Has satin od linings in sleeves, as seen on some liners from same period. My semi educated guess is that is Korean war era.Wondering what OMS is, as on the label, " manfd in OMS". Any clues? Occupied Korea or Japan? Post Korean war? Any help greatly appreciated. Writing from work. Photos to follow when home. Thanks.

Last edited:

Smithy

Wondering what OMS is, as on the label, " manfd in OMS". Any clues?

OMS in late 40's/early 50s terminology in the USAF means Organizational Maintenance Squadron. It was brought in under the Hobson Plan's reorganisation of USAF logistical structure. If that's correct It would suggest that the jacket could have been made by a supply unit from existing materials to supply aircrew with functional flight clothing when either there was a shortage or to repurpose damaged equipment.

Jacketarian

...I should preface the above, that it's purely an educated guess.
Thanks, Smithy. That's a logical start. Didn't realise the OMS were responsible for clothing but it could make sense that local, expedient clothing fell under their control.
BTW, It's Martin here in Sweden, back after a spell in the wilderness. Update with pics coming...

Jacketarian

Pics.
20220131_120928.jpg

20220131_121124.jpg
20220131_121011.jpg

917_k

Hmm, I’ve no idea, but that label just looks like a cheapo clothing manufacturer from the Asia/Far East copying (badly) any old US spec label they could find. It clearly has no relevance to the jacket. If was guessing I’d say this is just a 60s/70s or 80s made in the ‘somewhere’ fashion jacket. Could be wrong though.

SuinBruin

Hmm, I’ve no idea, but that label just looks like a cheapo clothing manufacturer from the Asia/Far East copying (badly) any old US spec label they could find. It clearly has no relevance to the jacket. If was guessing I’d say this is just a 60s/70s or 80s made in the ‘somewhere’ fashion jacket. Could be wrong though.
+1

A real US government issue jacket would never have a label that bad.

Jacketarian

Hi. I believe it to be earlier than 60s, 70s. I've been collecting vintage and military for 40yrs. But yes, far East. Consider the OMS connection mentioned previously. The label and the OMS remains mysterious until further enlightenment. If OMS were contracting clothing in theatre, this would be interesting and question then, what a supposedly "real US government issue jacket" is.

Last edited:

dav3469

Interesting jacket, and worthy of a post. Would be interesting to figure out its pedigree. In my opinion, I think O.M.S. is something other than for USAF OMS.

IIRC, USAF continued to use Army issue, and USAF/ARMY components together until USAF had their stuff ready.

The clothing supply chain, test facilities, designers all existed within the overall Government system. Seems a stretch that they would have Organizational Maintenance Squadrons produce gear of this nature.

I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so could be totally wrong…..