• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My well worn ELC RW 1401: part 2

fleet16b

This pic could have been taken during the 1940's but in actual fact is only 2 weeks ago.
I am sitting in my 1940 Fleet Finch 16R wearing my ELC A2 and my vintage helmet and goggles
My buddy took the shot when I was not looking , then played around with his photoshop a bit.
The early style tinted pic brings out just how worn my A2 is

CamAntique_6328-1.jpg

Cam_Fleet_Desaturate_6328_1.jpg

atkins

I bet it's mold nicely to your body too. Nice jacket and photography Fleet! But it looks a little dry ( the jacket ), is it not?

Atkins

fleet16b

atkins said:
I bet it's mold nicely to your body too. Nice jacket and photography Fleet! But it looks a little dry ( the jacket ), is it not?

Atkins
Thanks for the comments
Not dry at all really, it's just the picture.
The A2 gets a nice treatment of Pecards every years just before it goes away for the winter.

Hamsterbear

I, too have an ELC 1401-P that looks like yours. It's a nice jacket.
What engine is on your Fleet? Kinner? What's the HP, and what's the TBO on it?
I notice you have canopy rails on your plane, do you have the canopies for winter flying?
Can you solo from the front cockpit? Most biplanes you have to solo from the rear.
Thanks,
-Brian

fleet16b

Hamsterbear said:
I, too have an ELC 1401-P that looks like yours. It's a nice jacket.
What engine is on your Fleet? Kinner? What's the HP, and what's the TBO on it?
I notice you have canopy rails on your plane, do you have the canopies for winter flying?
Can you solo from the front cockpit? Most biplanes you have to solo from the rear.
Thanks,
-Brian

My Fleet Finch is a 16R which means it has the Kinner R55 160 hp radial. TBO is 1000 hrs or time on condition
She is all original as used by the RCAF WW2
Standard equipment was the use of canopies for winter flying.
Front seat solo unlike most biplanes

In the pic the canopies are slid back out of the picture as my loader is putting a passenger in the back seat.

Cam

dujardin

splendid photos,

for sure it's great to fly in such a ''coucou''.
what a great experience.
what a dream (for me)

byeeeeee marcel

Roughwear

I really like the atmospheric photos. Your 1401-P has the time worn effect which is not the result of ELC's current rapid aging process. ;)

fleet16b

Re: My well worn ELC RW 1401: part 2 ( pics added)

Thanks for the comments guys.
While talking with Gary at ELC about my Irvin order, I mentioned the 1401 and told him just how great his product it was.
When he saw a picture of it, he thought it as a real one.
I will take some time and do a photo survey of the jacket and post it here.
That way the forum members can see the results of actual flying activities on an Eastman Horse hide
I have always owned some kind of leather jacket, even back in my High School days.
Without a doubt may RW1401 is the best jacket I have had.
I swear it is armor clad .It's been used constantly with no babying of any kind and when you see the pics it shows.
It is my first horsehide jacket and excluding Irvins , I will never buy a non horsehide again. They are jut plain tough. I expect to have this jacket all my life and doubt I will ever need to replace it.
Eastman makes a great product!!!!!!!!
I am currently waiting for my 1940 Irvin to show up.
It will get the same workout that the 1401 gets.
I buy these jacket to wear while flying vintage aircraft and that can be tough on a jacket. Wonder and imagine how the Irvin will look in 5 years?

fleet16b

Re: My well worn ELC RW 1401: part 2 *****PICS ADDED*****

As promised here are some pics of my
Size 44 ELC Roughwear 1401 A2 (horsehide)
I have tried to take some close ups of the grain.
The pic of the back of the jacket shows really well how my shoulder harness rubs on two areas in the middle
Elbows have virtually no finish left at this point
Once the new movie AMELIA comes out and the DVD is released , you can see me and my jacket in the DVD extra about the making of the movie. Incidentally, the movie company specifically asked that I wear the A2 for the filmed interview.

P1000984.jpg

P1000990.jpg

P1000986.jpg

P1000988.jpg

P1000989.jpg

P1000990.jpg

P1000987.jpg

P1000991.jpg

P1000992.jpg

P1000993.jpg

Peter Graham

Yup, very impressive. It could pass for an original no bother. It's nice to see a jacket being used for the purpose it was intended.

Chandler

fleet16b said:

When did you buy your 1401? Just wondering if it was spray or aniline finish. My own 1401, from the mid 90s (as far as I can recall) has some great grain and wear, but nothing as scuffed and chewed as that!

I will say that the lining at your collar stand is holding up much better than mine. Do you wear a collared shirt or scarf more often than not? I'm prone to a sweatshirt or sweater with a T underneath more often than a collared shirt, so I imagine my collar has suffered.

Chandler

fleet16b

Chandler said:
fleet16b said:

When did you buy your 1401? Just wondering if it was spray or aniline finish. My own 1401, from the mid 90s (as far as I can recall) has some great grain and wear, but nothing as scuffed and chewed as that!

I will say that the lining at your collar stand is holding up much better than mine. Do you wear a collared shirt or scarf more often than not? I'm prone to a sweatshirt or sweater with a T underneath more often than a collared shirt, so I imagine my collar has suffered.

Chandler

Chandler

It is a 2004 Eastman Leather Company RW1401 A2 ,original aniline finished horsehide
I always wear a collared shirt or gold shirt and a flight suit.
In the cooler months a silk scarf as well

Hawkeye

Great photo. I've had the pleasure of trying on this jacket and I have to say it looks even better in person. I can only hope my jackets achieve this look in a few years time.

Chandler

fleet16b said:
It is a 2004 Eastman Leather Company RW1401 A2 ,original aniline finished horsehide
I always wear a collared shirt or gold shirt and a flight suit.

Jeez. Mine has nearly 10 years of "wear" on yours, and probably half of the "wear" yours shows. Goes to show the diff between that spray finish and the aniline.

Chandler