• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My well worn ELC 1401 RW

fleet16b

Here is a pic of me at the Niagara Falls Airshow 2009 wearing my 2003 ELC Roughwear 1401 A2. I now have over 500 + flight hours on the jacket and she's really worn but still going strong.
With me is Fern Villaneuve. He is an inductee in the Canadian Aviation Hall of Fame.
Fern is the original "Hawk #1" , the Flight Leader for the famed RCAF F-86 Sabre Aerobatic Display Team "The Golden Hawks"
He is 82 still flies vintage bi-planes with us.

Flyerandhawk.jpg

Andrew

Great shot Fleet! The jacket definitely looks the goods.

It's also great to spend time with older legends like these modest guys.

bfrench

Administrator
fleet16b said:
Here is a pic of me at the Niagara Falls Airshow 2009 wearing my 2003 ELC Roughwear 1401 A2. I now have over 500 + flight hours on the jacket and she's really worn but still going strong.
With me is Fern Villaneuve. He is an inductee in the Canadian Aviation Hall of Fame.
Fern is the original "Hawk #1" , the Flight Leader for the famed RCAF F-86 Sabre Aerobatic Display Team "The Golden Hawks"
He is 82 still flies vintage bi-planes with us.

Hi, Fleet16B,

Great pic - especially as it was only 5 miles from home but I was in hospital that week - knee replacement.

Had the pleasure of meeting Mr Villeneuve and his wife at one of the Tiger Boys fly-ins a few years back - he was flying a Globe Swift at the time and his wife was wearing an A-2 with a mink collar with Hawk 1 painted on the back.

A really truly great couple.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9_3CwBfFp4[/video]

You were probably flying passengers that day - I spent time with Bill Hammill and one year we did a gang fly over the city - I think it was the 75th anniversary.

Bill French

fleet16b

Hey Bill
Great to hear from you, it's been a while.
Too bad you couldn't make the show, it was a really good one.
We ( The Tigerboys) always have fun doing the Ed Russell show.
The pic does not show how really worn my jacket has become. I guess at some point I should post some detailed pics.
Many of the members have various ways of aging their jackets.
My ELC RW 1401 is beat up from plain old use. I don't baby the jacket in any way.
Besides wearing it EVERY time I fly, it has been used as a seat cushion, ground blanket, pillow while camping, umbrella, rain coat ... etc.
It has also been worn at a couple of funerals for aviation friends that have passed.
Since 2003 , it has been used for 500+ flying hours, and more than 40 + Airshows. I can definitely say that the Horse Hide A2 lives up to its reputation as rugged. The cuffs have a few minor tears but not bad enough that they need replacement.
All in all my A2 , along with my leather helmet and goggles are my most prized aviation items that I fly with.
I could lose my wallet ,my money , all my id , my Raybans etc but would be devastated if I lost my A2.
On another note, Fern is leading our group The Tigerboys during the #8 Wing Anniversary Celebrations at CAFB Trenton this w/end.
We will also be doing a fly past over the BCATP Gates to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan.

fleet16b

Hamsterbear said:
It's not the jacket- it's the guy wearin' it!
Looks cool!
-Brian
Thanks for the kind comment but in reality the "cool guy " in the man beside me. He has had a career that most only dream about.
For his bio scroll to Bill French comments in this thread.
Fern is the real thing and when I am flying with him , I revert back to being just a punk ass kid that tries to learn from him.
He is a patient teacher and great mentor

Striker

Fleet,

The jacket looks like a great fit.

Just for reference, what is the:

1) Across chest measurement (armpit to armpit)
2) Back length measurement (bottom of back of collar down to the end of the knit waistband)
3) Across shoulders

Thanks,

Striker

fleet16b

Striker said:
Fleet,

The jacket looks like a great fit.

Just for reference, what is the:

1) Across chest measurement (armpit to armpit)
2) Back length measurement (bottom of back of collar down to the end of the knit waistband)
3) Across shoulders

Thanks,

Striker

Striker here you go
My jacket is a size 44 reg

Across chest measurement (armpit to armpit) = 25 inches

2) Back length measurement (bottom of back of collar down to the end of the knit waistband) = 25 inches

3) Across shoulders = 19.5 inches from back corner of epaulets

Take a look in my other thread "My well worn ELC 1401 RW part 2"
for pics i have posted

Cam