• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My USN jacket collection...

Dr H

Andrew
I was just beginning to consider seeking out a used ELC M442A (comparatively slow convert to a naval jacket).
Where does the ELC fall down?
Cheers
Ian

CBI

If you want an M422 or any Navy jacket, I would go for an original. The goat is sturdy and for the price, a nice original can be had if you keep your eyes open. In your size Ian, I'll bet if you do an open ask on the forum, someone will have one for you. That's how I purchased the 3 M422's I have owned. Still own one of them.

Roughwear

Ian, having seen examples of ELC's naval jackets at Duxford I would say they fall down on the mouton and some of the finer details. I have owned quite a few original naval jackets and currently own a near mint G&F M422a. Original W&G M422s had shortish sleeves and having long arms even if I could find an original in my size the sleeves would be too short!

Roughwear

CBI said:
If you want an M422 or any Navy jacket, I would go for an original. The goat is sturdy and for the price, a nice original can be had if you keep your eyes open. In your size Ian, I'll bet if you do an open ask on the forum, someone will have one for you. That's how I purchased the 3 M422's I have owned. Still own one of them.

All this is true about buying originals and they often cost much less than a high end repro.

CBI

Yes, and the goat can be pretty tough so you can feel pretty good about wearing an original (as good as anyone can/should feel about it). In some respects the answer might be a G-1 as you can get an original issues without worry about a Ww2 era item. No, I am not lobbying for the sale of mine currently listed.

In re Andrew's post, the trick is that the sizing of original Navy jackets can be somewhat all over the map so it can be tricky.

Dr H

Thanks all - looks like a W&G 44 would be my short armed ideal ;-)
Still might plump for the cheap G-1 in the meantime though...