• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My second vintage cyclist jacket (Hartmann jacket)

Kermit3D

Hi everyone !

I've been very busy the last few days/weeks, but today I found some time to take some pictures of a cyclist jacket I recently acquired.

It's actually this jacket. Sugar001 contacted me on Instagram a few weeks ago and asked if I'd be interested in buying his jacket.
... here we are, this is my fourth cyclist jacket, and second vintage one.

So it's probably a post-war jacket. The zippers are from the '50s, and the absence of buttons on pockets would also seem to be a feature of more modern jackets.
But overall, the cut is still the same, and except for a few details, it's very similar to a 1930-1940 jacket.

The cowhide is very soft and pleasant to wear. The wool lining is in perfect condition, the zippers work very well, the metal buckle is really nice... in short, it's a jacket in excellent condition, solid and wearable without any problem.
And the best part : it's not a size 36/38 like most cyclist jackets ! It's the equivalent of a true size 42 (there's no size label) and it almost fits me. Almost... yes, you can't really tell from the photos, but the body is a bit baggy on me. This jacket must have been made for someone with a bit more belly, and it's a little pear-shaped.
I'm very happy with my purchase (for a very small fraction of the price of a pre-1945 cyclist jacket).

Thanks to Sugar001 :) (if he's reading this). This jacket has come a long way from Vietnam !

For the moment I only have fit pics. Details will come later.

DSC_4015_moyen.jpg

DSC_4027_crop.jpg

Johnnie Espresso

bonsoir Guillaume, it looks like the year started off pretty well for you already. Very nice Jacket you got. again! :) If you wouldn't have mentioned it, i wouldn't have realized that it is (for a change) a bit too wide.

Johnnie Espresso

Hi Johnny!
Yeah it's a little too wide in the belly. There's a "pear" effect and the result is an excess of leather on the sides that looks a bit strange. :D
It's clearly not my holy grail (I've got another card to play...) but it's still a nice jacket.

View attachment 133769
thank you for the info graphic.....now i can't unsee it!! :D If you like that Jacket, this is something that can be altered rather easily by a skilled tailor, i guess (they should add buttons to the pocket flaps, while they're at it). Otherwise, this is a beautiful trading object once you find something more fitting...

B-Man2

Sometimes if you’re looking for a rare vintage jacket, and you’re fortunate enough to find one that’s near to your size, you have to take what you can get, and be satisfied with the fit, because it may take years for you to find another one and that’s if you can find one at all. So for Kermit to be lucky enough to find a rare jacket near to his size is a good thing. Keep it and wear the piss out of it !:)

geedee

Hi everyone !

I've been very busy the last few days/weeks, but today I found some time to take some pictures of a cyclist jacket I recently acquired.

It's actually this jacket. Sugar001 contacted me on Instagram a few weeks ago and asked if I'd be interested in buying his jacket.
... here we are, this is my fourth cyclist jacket, and second vintage one.

So it's probably a post-war jacket. The zippers are from the '50s, and the absence of buttons on pockets would also seem to be a feature of more modern jackets.
But overall, the cut is still the same, and except for a few details, it's very similar to a 1930-1940 jacket.

The cowhide is very soft and pleasant to wear. The wool lining is in perfect condition, the zippers work very well, the metal buckle is really nice... in short, it's a jacket in excellent condition, solid and wearable without any problem.
And the best part : it's not a size 36/38 like most cyclist jackets ! It's the equivalent of a true size 42 (there's no size label) and it almost fits me. Almost... yes, you can't really tell from the photos, but the body is a bit baggy on me. This jacket must have been made for someone with a bit more belly, and it's a little pear-shaped.
I'm very happy with my purchase (for a very small fraction of the price of a pre-1945 cyclist jacket).

Thanks to Sugar001 :) (if he's reading this). This jacket has come a long way from Vietnam !

For the moment I only have fit pics. Details will come later.

View attachment 133665

View attachment 133667
congrats, I think it looks great on you. If you think it feels too big just wear a thick sweater under it! :)

Kermit3D

Sometimes if you’re looking for a rare vintage jacket, and you’re fortunate enough to find one that’s near to your size, you have to take what you can get, and be satisfied with the fit, because it may take years for you to find another one and that’s if you can find one at all. So for Kermit to be lucky enough to find a rare jacket near to his size is a good thing. Keep it and wear the piss out of it !:)

Wise words, as always.
I actually like it more and more... and it's a solid jacket that you can wear without worrying about it deteriorating.
So I'm just going to enjoy it as much as I can.

Kermit3D

Nice one, congrats on this.
Oh and I know female pear shaped butts but not so much male pear shaped torsos :p

Thanks Enigma,
Yeah I'd like to avoid looking like a pear as much as possible... :D
I'll think about it, but Johnny Expresso's suggestion to have the jacket modified by a tailor seems feasible. It's not a jacket of immense value, so it's possibly an option. I'd still have to find a tailor I could trust...
There's no hurry at the moment.