• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My New Nomex Flight Jacket

TiredRetired

I be loving my new Valley Apparel Nomex Flight Jacket. Fits great, looks great. I have one question. Are these jackets not supposed to get at all wet? I wore mine today down at the VA and it started raining while there. A long walk out in the parking lot to get back to my truck. I took the jacket off, shook off the excess water and set it on the back seat of the truck for the long drive home. When I got home I noticed it covered in water spots mostly on the shoulders and half way down the front and back. I can't say I am too thrilled about that. I can't say I am too thrilled either with the possibility to having to check the weather reports for 0% chance of rain before I wear the coat. LOL. This is Vermont, it rains or snows almost every day up here.

Any thoughts from any of you flight jacket experts here? Thanx in advance.

TR

Skyhawk

Yes all CWU Nomex jackets get water spots. It will not hurt the jacket. Can you imagine aircrew afraid of the rain during prefight inspections? No they are just worn like a work jacket. I have seen them worn in heavy down pours. I tend to choose Leather or Gortex in the rain though, and avoid the water spotting. Sounds like you need to get yourself a G-1 too!

If you soak the jacket in water so it is all evenly wet, the water spots will dry out and not show up. You can machine wash them as well, hang dry after. However the knits will fuzz up if you wash them too much. A couple of times won't hurt the jacket though.

TiredRetired

Thanx for the reply, Skyhawk. That is what I figured that it was the nature of the beast, but never owning one before I figured it would not hurt to ask. I wiped the jacket down with a wet wash cloth and all is well again in CWU land. LOL. Now I await eBay to come through with my patches and I will be styling.

Not to get off topic but if you have some recommendations for a nice authentic G-1 I would appreciate it. I am familiar with those jackets and they are awesome. Now that I have lost some weight I might even look like Tom Cruise in one. LMAO. NOT!!

Skyhawk

EBay is a great source. Also here on the forum. Put a request out to buy. Originals are cheap and plentiful and of course, real. Reproductions are available too. Originals before 1969 -ish have the real sheep mouton collar and are generally better jackets than the later ones. Just a few tips.... There is a shipload of info on the forum from past posts so you can do some research if you are interested.