• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My New Good Wear Monarch- 1941 In a Box

At least I seem to recall the Monarch contract was from 1941.

Got lucky on this one. This is the seal brown size 48 jacket posted about by Brian-saucerfiend- recently. It didn't work for him in the fit department. John C. remembered I was looking for a bigger size jacket since my 46 Dubow was fitting a little too snug for comfort after I put on some weight...anyway John was kind enough to offer the jacket to me and it came in Saturday.

The fit was perfect. Trim, but roomy in the shoulders thanks to the large sleeve tops and the inset sleeves of the Monarch pattern. One of the neatest things for me about this jacket is John's seal brown horsehide, which looks darker indoors than out. Outside in natural light, it has some beautiful red or dark russet tones going on. I love it!

John used a dark OD thread on the jacket, which shows up better in his photos, and he said the original jacket he used as a pattern for this one had such dark OD thread. Very cool.

Very happy with the jacket, and love the fit. As always, John was a gent to deal with from start to finish, and I'm glad he was able to hook me up with this jacket when it didn't work out for Brian.

I'll try to get some better photos tomorrow, but this weekend was crazy and I only had time for my wife to snap a few quick camera phone pics.

Here's the photos previously posted in the other thread from John's site.

http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/MonarchA2_No2_48/

And my in-a-hurry pics.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

better duck

Now that is what I call a good fitting jacket: it really sits well on you! And it looks brand new! So all the opportunity to wear it to creases, to patina, to discoloration, to look like lived in! And let me tell you: if worn daily, life gets into that jacket slowly, but surely. Take a couple of pics again after a couple of months, and it will look quite different, especially the sleeves.
You will really come to love wearing this jacket - and sneakily - keep looking at it all the time. Sometimes I have my GW RW 27752 hanging over a chair, put in view, just to look at the jacket and how it is develloping!

CBI

no way John could have made a better fit - congrats!

If you can, sleep in it for a few days and notice how well it breaks in.

colekwok

That is one heck of a fit!!!

I wish mine is like that! It looks fantastic! The leather also looks so nice as well!

Andrew

Nice one Clyde, looking good. that'd fit me perfectly too. If I didn't go spending my money on originals I can't wear, that'd be what i'd have.

Andrew said:
Nice one Clyde, looking good. that'd fit me perfectly too. If I didn't go spending my money on originals I can't wear, that'd be what i'd have.

Thanks, guys. Appreciate all the kind comments. John does make a helluva A-2.

Andrew, I hear ya. So far I have managed to not go down that road. :lol:

But I am looking at getting a decent nylon jacket now--have never had a nice one that I liked and that fit me well. Maybe a 60s MA-1...

derleicaman

Hey Clyde, congratulations on the new GW jacket. I was waiting for a report with pics from the original purchaser, and I'm glad it found a new home. I'm seriously considering one of these sometime soon. Send us some better pics! and wear in good health.

BTW, your Dubow arrived today and it fits like a glove! :D Thanks again.

Bill

As promised, here's some additional and hopefully somewhat better pics. This is after a week of wear. No hot water treatment for this one yet, and John recommended I just wear the heck out of it so that's the plan.

The jacket is beginning to break in nicely and the hide shows some great natural grain in many places which I tried to capture with the collar and arm and pocket shots.

I got completely lucky in the fit department since the jacket wasn't originally made for me, but a serendipitously perfect fit is better than no perfect fit!

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Weasel_Loader

Your in the same boat as I am now. The fun part is always wearing it as much as possible to break it in. Wife and kid just think I'm strange as hell though! :lol: