My new ELC Werber 1729

Discussion in 'Repros' started by Wright Field, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Chris217

Chris217 Member

I've been thinking about getting a Weber..How I love these early contract A-2's!

2. Geeboo

Geeboo Active Member

In vintage collecting: car, amplifier, speakers, watch, pen, camera, the earlier/ the earliest is ALWAYS better.:)

zoomer and Skip like this.
  3. 33-1729

33-1729 Active Member

Congratulations on your Werber 33-1729. I'm a fan too.

I bought one of the first ones from ELC and have found simply wearing it does the trick of breaking it in (just like the originals). I don't go out in the rain, though some suggest it. As for conditioning I go by feel rather than by time and, so far, have only conditioned it once in the past decade even though I live in the high desert.

The sleeves pulled up slightly with wear, about a half an inch, making it a better fit for me. It takes a good while for the horsehide to break-in, but then people are wearing those from WWII today. My advice is to not rush the aging. Take your time and enjoy it.

4. zoomer

zoomer Well-Known Member

I just wish the collar and waistband were deeper. That’s what happens when you copy one original, in one size, without looking at all the photos you can and using a little horse(hide) sense. But! I am a big guy and it’s still my all-time favorite A-2!