• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My New Avirex A-2-Review

442RCT

Last week, I bid the minimum starting bid on an Avirex A-2, I was the only bidder so I ended up with the jacket. From the label, the embroidered B1 on the pocket flap, it appears to be a 'promotional' jacket made for the 1983 movie "The Right Stuff".
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086197/

I received it yesterday and was pretty surprised by the quality of the jacket. IMHO, this jacket is a better jacket than any of my goat Coopers. The jacket was made to mil-spec out of moo hide and had pretty good potential grain, the leather itself was around 2.5 oz and relatively pliable, with no squeaks or creaks, even though it had minimal wear and not 'broken' in yet. The military trim fit size 40 fit was a shade smaller than my size 40 ELC, it was more like a size 38, but with breaking in, it may 'loosen up' and might eventually conform to my body. It fits like my favorite G-1 but lacking the bi-swing back for easier arm and shoulder movement. Right now, not much more than a t-Shirt can be worn with it. There's a Bell X-1 embroidered on the pocket flap that I'd like to cover since I plan on patching this jacket up with one of DUBOWA2's WW2 patches.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0046885840

442RCT

I've been wearing the jacket around the house this morning and it's breaking in very nicely and 'adjusting' itself to my torso, it doesn't feel as tight as yesterday, this is pretty much how my ELC felt when I first received it, so things are looking good. I may not patch it up and leave it for a nondescript EDWJ (Every Day Wear Jacket), only problem is I have 40 or 50 jackets (I've purposefully refrained from counting them). :p My ELC is in russet and this jacket is a dark seal brown. Like you've said, the price was right. :mrgreen:

Hawkeye

Theres an identical jacket thats been hanging in a vintage clothing store near me for at least the past year, for roughly the same price too. Not a bad looking jacket but the embroidery just isnt for me. It does have nice leather though.

dujardin

hellooooooooooo,

good catch at this friend price....
an Avirex as dealy wearer, why not; i found it cool that it's a jacket in regards with a movie.
i maintain, good catch. not a USAAF collector but still a nice jacket.

byeeeeeeeee marcel

dav3469

The jacket was a part of what was called the "Chuck Yeager" Collection. As I recall there was the jacket, and a couple of other items that offered the orange Bell X-1 embroidered logo. I think there was a Avirex cloth A-2 with the logo as well. This was of course a couple years after "The Right Stuff" book/movie came out, but was during the whole Top Gun phase where flight jackets became of greater interest. The AC/Delco- Chuck Yeager "Don't Wait For Trouble" series of commercials were on TV as well/hence the tie in. It was offered in the Avirex "The Cockpit" catalog in the mid to late 1980's (86-88 time frame). I believe I still have the issue in storage, I will look for it.